What happened?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by fiberchick04, Jan 11, 2011.

1. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    So I was at work today and my fiance tried desperately to get a hold of me. I had my phone on silent so I didn't get his call until it was too late.

One of our doe kids died. I guess what had happened was he went out there and she was fine. He snuggled her and went back inside. 10 minutes later he heard crying so he went outside and it was her. He went and held her and she became silent. She baaed a little bit then was getting weaker. He brought her inside and she started throwin her head in pain and within 2 minutes she was dead. He said she was gasping for air and just couldn't breathe.

She was born about 10 days ago. Mom got CD&T at the correct time and everything. Perfect birth, perfect health. Mom is great. Brother is great. What the HELL IS GOING ON? Pardon my language. :hair: :shrug: :sigh: :(

2. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    Trauma? If there are no signs of sickness eg: scouring, high temperature,any other symptoms, then you could only assume she some how was hurt, by herself or one of the other goats, possibly causing internal injury which in turn caused death...It is the only explaination without any symptoms and it isn't uncommon.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...sounds like.... either she got slammed by another goat or layed on... by her mother....I am so sorry :(

4. Hush Hills Fainters

Hush Hills Fainters New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Im so sorry for your loss..it does sound like she got stepped/layed on or something? :sigh:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry :hug: I'd have to say they she had to have gotten hit hard or layed on to have caused the respiratory distress.

I've had kids choke on feed causing them to cry out and thrash about but they were 2-3 weeks old, (in my presence and they were saved) your baby was too young I think to have choked so the chance of that is unlikely, she had to have been hurt enough to cause lung collapse. So sorry :hug:

6. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    Thank you all for the sympathy. I dunno, there wasn't any sign of trauma. All the goats were leaving her alone. The mom wasn't even near her. They knew something was up. So irritating

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose one, especially when your not sure what happened. :hug:

8. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Could she have been hypothermic? If her temp was really low, she could have been doing the 'death stretch' (as we call it)...her head over her back, stiffening up, gasping.

9. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My guess is that she got something lodged in her throat and choked, or that she got hit. Maybe really hard by another goat, laid on by something heavy, squished, etc.... I really think that sounds correct. Does will sometimes suffocate their own kids. Do you have horses or cattle that could have stomped on them? I am very, very sorry. Accidents suck, but at least it doesn't sound like a sickness or poison that will affect your other goats.

10. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    It really does suck. Her mom mom and other does were no where near her. I know this because they were all in the barn with their babies. The barn doors are open but since it was chilly the moms were off eating and such. She may have choked. I don't know, whatever it is, it's done now. :sigh:

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so sorry :( What a tragic loss. Thankfully it doesn't sound like something that can spread through your herd, but of course that doesn't really ease the ache of her loss :(

12. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

That is so sad! I am sorry. :hug: