What have I gotten my self into Part two........trouble

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Jan 8, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    For those of you who may not have read part one, here it is:
    viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6408

Well it seems this guy doesn't want any baby goats and only wants the milk for his wife's stomach ailment. Well in order to get milk you gotta have a baby. He called me at 9:30 this morning as he had another baby born last night/early this morning. He didn't want said baby and did I want her? What could I do? The other baby needs a friend in her crate to keep her company and warm. So I told him I would take her. She was a twin but her brother died. I went to pick her up and boy was there a difference between the 2. The other baby was huge at 16 lbs, this one is tiny at 4.5 lbs. Her cord ad feet are still wet and she still has blood spots that are not quite dry. He gave me a gallon of colostrum for her so I am covered there. since everything is still very soft I am going to dip her navel and feet since he didn't. I don't want to contend with navel ill if I can help it.

We have also come up with a couple names for our little farm,

CastOff Acres, or DropOff Junction as I am getting a lot of bottle babies that folks don't want.

Here is our second little baby on the sofa.

[​IMG]

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: What have I gotten my self into Part two

What a CUTIE!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I hope this guy quits this. I mean why can he just not purchase the milk from someone else so that he isn't breeding kids that he doesn't want. Seems easier to me!

3. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa

That little baby looks like a statue sitting on the couch. Tooooo cute!!

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

He has about 20 goats but didn't say anything about having any others that were pregnant. This is not a cheap way to start a herd either. Anyone priced replacer lately? He won't give up anything but colostrum since that's not fit for human consumption. I have gone from no goats 7 months ago to 6 now, 3 of those are or have been bottle babies. As I said before, talk about trial by fire. The other baby is doing great, hopefully this one will as well.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

I certainly hope he doesn't keep this up. . . .

She looks very cute! I love the farm names you thought up. Too funny! :D I like DropOff Junction best. ;)

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Oh, cute!

Probably a bit late now, but I like to keep new babies quarrantined from the others for at least a few days. What I have is individual pens for them, where they can see each other but not have nose to nose contact, and the sides are rigged up so that they cant poop through into the other pen.

Just a good habit to get into, I had one time when I received a lamb, it looked normal and healthy and within half an hour of receival it was flat, unresponsive and has a particular scour. I have seen this scour before in kids, and the animal gets unresponsive really fast, when you pick them up the scour which is kindof yellow just runs out of them, they have no control whatsoever. I have never saved one from this type of scour, never. From the onset of the scour and unconsciousness it is about 4 or 5 hours before death. And it is highly contagious - saw that with the kids where one kid in a pen on six got it, and by the next day all were dead. Well this lamb had this nasty scour and thank god I had it quarrantined because at the same time I had three older lambs and a kid on the bottle and I hate to think of what could have happened.

Hee hee, I like Cast Off Acres.

7. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007

Very cute!

BTW- Depending on where the person is located, that person may not be able to legally buy raw goats milk.

Just found out I can't legally sell goats milk in Indiana for ANIMAL consumption...let alone human. I have to have a liscense if I sell the milk...even if the container is marked for Animal consumption only. Not for human use...

GAH! :sigh:

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Well so far shes doing fine and neither one shows any signs of being ill. The little one has gotten her land legs under her and the bigger one is keeping her warm by snuggling. Time to go feed the little one since DH wasn't able to. He kept choking her with the bottle and got scared. The bigger one is a champ when it comes to the bottle and sucks it down in nothing flat.

I really hope he doesn't have any more. 2 bottle babies is quite enough thank you very much!!!!! DH is refusing to build additions onto a crate :?

One question please. IF she is still having trouble with the bottle (going to try a human baby bottle) how long should I give her before tubing her? I also picked up some lactated ringers just in case of dehydration. The vet said 20cc's every 12 hours for her weight and age.

We CAN buy and sell raw goats/cows milk for human or animal consumption if sold off the farm premises as long as we don't sell over 100 gallons a month.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

fcnubian -

That is very true, however there are always ways of getting around that :wink:

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

She does not like this bottle business one bit. She has fought me every drop. I don't think there is a need to tube her as she is not weak. Her lungs are very good, you can hear her from one end of the house to the other.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

That baby is so adorable........ :love:

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

OK may have to rethink the tubing. Shes not taking the milk at all. Shes holding it in her mouth and not swollowing it. I know she can swollow because she did it earlier. I think we have gotten maybe 3 ounces down her all day and most of that was with an eye dropper. Shes not standing very well and is a little shaky. She nursed mom before we picked her up so I I am reasonably sure she got colostrum then. The milk we are feeding her is from mom so I am reasonably sure its colostrum. I have power punch but I don't have any nutri drench. Can she have B-12 to stimulate her appitite? Her temp is normal at 102.6. She looks like all legs as they are extremly long

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    give her some time - she will. Remember they don't drink a whole whole bunch the first day cause it is all colostrum - but when she gets hungry she will.

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK, how long should I give her beofre I get real worried?

15. farmgirl

farmgirl New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    What a sweetheart!
    Haha, you'll probably feel a bit different having them in your house and being so fully commited to them, but I loved bottle feeding the baby goats when I was helping out at a goat farm during kidding season! There were roughly sixty (?) that got bottle fed a couple times each day and then over a hundred older ones who we could use a nipple bucket for. I loved those sweet little goaties!!!!!! I was only there for five days though so it was a bit different :wink: I enjoyed the milking, but it was bottle feeding the younger babies that made getting up at 5:30 feel more worth it. :love:
    Besides bottle feeding those we had two lambs that we bottle fed, a bit off topic, but they were impossible after that and insisted on being bottle fed for two years until the one finally realized that she was now being given water! Those were by far the fattest sheep I have ever seen. The one lamb always gave us a problem with feeding though, we had to basically stick a finger in her mouth with the nipple and squeeze the milk out because she would not suck and kept trying to spit out her bottle. After a couple of weeks though of a lot of work she started drinking on her own and you'd never had known she'd been such a problem.
    Hope your baby starts being a bit easier to feed soon!

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The few times I did bottle babies, I would pull them after they got colostrum from mom or up to 5 days of age. Depended on what day they were born, as I would ONLY pull bottle babies on a Friday at about 4 pm. They wouldn't really take a bottle for about 12 hours or so and then when they did it was minimal for the next 24 and then they started figuring it out.

When I had the one born that was dead and I revived her - she didn't eat hardly anything for about 48 hours. I would make her get a little so she would not go hyperglycemic on me - and she did great. Just keep trying - she will figure it out.

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    When they are that young, I will give them a full day and night of not sucking before I intervene with the tube. Its a finely tuned balancing act between getting them hungry enough to suck but not letting them get weak from hunger, because they will lose that suckle instinct.

Good luck :thumb:

18. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Well she was hungry this morning. She still don't like this bottle business but she did take 6 ounces of milk. Milk went everywhere until she decided the bottle had good stuff in it.

19. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Hooray it seems she is finally getting the hang of it!!

20. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    As others said, I just needed to give her a little time. I am going to put her in a diaper today as I have not seen her pee or poop. This could be because she wasn't eating but now that she has, I want to make sure.