What have I gotten myself into part 3-update on the babies

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Feb 18, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I figure you folks would like an update on how the babies are doing. For those of you who don't know or remember our babies here is a link back to both posts,
    part 1
    viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6408
    part 2
    viewtopic.php?t=6457

Well here they are on January 7th& 8th, 2009

This is Lovey(dh named her this because she loves all over him) at 6 hours and 4.5lbs, born 1/8/09

[​IMG]

This is Dancer(she dances everywhere she goes) at 3 days old and 16lbs, born 1/6/09

[​IMG]

This is Lovey today at 16 lbs, that's a 11.5lb gain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is Dancer today at 26lbs, she had a 10lb gain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both babies have done great, much better than I was expecting since I had no experience at raising anything so young. Lovey had problems since she had not gotten colostrum and was cold. It looks like she has overcome her first days of life with a bumbling parent. Thanks to all of you here at TGS for your help in saving these babies.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so happy.. :leap: they are doing really well.....so cute...congrats... :greengrin:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Lovey and Dancer look to have "earned" their names! They look so healthy and my goodness are they growing! Congrats on being such a great goatmom.....now give yourself a pat on the back :hug:

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I was really surprised when I weighed them, they have grown by leaps and bounds. They are still kept inside since our weather is so unpredictable, pouring rain one day, freezing the next, then cold and snow, now more ice predicted.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Oh I'm so happy! I was thinking of them this morning and meant to PM you to see how they were going!

They are looking spot on! Watch Lovey very closely around 5 weeks because that is when the lack of colostrum will kill them, due to infection. Be handy with the antibiotics around this stage if you think she is a little off, trust me this is one scenario where it is better to be A/B happy than cautious.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I am watching both of them really close. We are so protective of them its pathetic. They are both tanking their milk, shoveling in the pellets, and chowing down the hay. Lovey is very assertive in her wants and if she wants in the pellet pan she will flip Dancer if shes in the way. I am getting ready to start their cocci preventative

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    *squee* Oh they are darling! I wish I had a hundred acres so I could have lots of goats. They are so beautiful! Which one was the big baby? They look about the same size now. *tip-toes off with baby goats*

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Dancer was the big one born at 16 lbs, shes 26lbs now. Lovey the one with the traditional Boer looking head was the little one at 4.5lbs, now weighs 16lbs. Dancer is 50% Saanen and 50% Boer. Lovey is 50% Nubian and 50% Boer.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh my gosh they have both done awesome for you - and to think at 10 days old they are bigger then my 5 month old Nigi kids - LOL!

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    They aren't 10 days old, they are 5 weeks old. They were born in January.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hahaha - 10 pound 10 day - that isn't the same thing :shrug: :shrug: :doh: Sorry bout that! LOL!

I took my pain pills for my Jaw and checking posts before I go to bed.

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Pain pills and reading do not mix, just ask me how I know :shrug: They don't mix with typing either, been there too. I hope your jaw feels better and that you can sleep tonight.

14. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    OH MY GOODNESS.. They are so sweet!!!!

Jennah

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Aww! *Oogles pics again* Well, at least they are both girls. You don't have to worry about castration. I would much rather have females than males, (even if they were wethers) any day.