What have I gotten myself into...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Moonix, May 15, 2018.

1. Moonix

Moonix New Member

May 13, 2018
    Northern WI
    Ok, so first off, HI! My name is Jessica, and I suffer from chicken math, which has progressed to ducks, a turkey poult, and now 2 goats. It's true what they say, chickens are a gateway animal that leads to other animals. My husband took us to a local animal swap meet over Mother's day weekend, and somehow a black nigerian doe and a brown and black alpine doeling came home with us. I felt sorry for the alpine baby because her ears were frostbitten and nobody wanted her, and of course she needed a friend, so I bought the nigerian also. They both are coughing and have snotty noses, so our local 4H leader had some antibiotics at home and dosed the girls and gave them CD/T. He left some extra here for me to administer in 3 weeks. Antibiotics haven't helped yet, so I think it's just a cold, maybe? They are happily eating, drinking, making goat berries all over the yard, and frolicking with the chickens. I was totally unprepared for goats, so I have been researching like crazy for the last few days. I have a shopping list to add to my animal first aid kit, and we are in the process of finding someone with hay, and looking for some kind of shelter for them. In the meantime, they are happily snuggled in the chicken coop with all my birds, and foraging in the chicken yard which is quite large. I bought goat pellets at the local garden and feed shop, but they are very limited to what they carry. I named the nigerian Missy, and the alpine is Petunia. They have my old bandanas on because I didn't have collars yet, but do now. They still have the bandanas on though because they are adorable. Any advice is appreciated. 32591560_10214651166184633_2778280860493807616_o.jpg 32452944_10214651175304861_2806070402705522688_o.jpg

groovyoldlady and Dwarf Dad like this.
  2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Welcome to TGS :)

You can try vet rx in their noses for the cough. You can get hay at most farm stores, though it's usually overpriced. But it works until you find a better source. They will also need free choice loose minerals.

groovyoldlady likes this.

3. Moonix

Moonix New Member

May 13, 2018
    Northern WI
    I have vet rx already so I will try that. Thanks! Minerals are on the list too.

4. Einhorn

Einhorn Active Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Welcome!

I use ibc totes with the bottom and a door cut out for a shelter. Cheap,easy to move/clean and the goats like it.

5. Moonix

Moonix New Member

May 13, 2018
    Northern WI
    Great idea! I live in northern wisconsin so it is not uncommon for it to be -20 with wind chill of -40 F in winter. Should I somehow insulate an ibc tote?

6. Einhorn

Einhorn Active Member

Jan 2, 2014
    you can put wood around it, stack old bales, smithing probably would do. I adjust the top lid as necessary for ventilation.

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If they are in the chicken coop, make sure they don't eat any chicken feed. It can cause bloat quickly, so make sure they don't have access to it.

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You will probably want to create a separate area for the goats. All the dust from the chickens isn't good. Also they can easily bloat from the chicken feed. Welcome to TGS!

Goat_Scout likes this.
  9. Moonix

Moonix New Member

May 13, 2018
    Northern WI
    I caught them eating it the first day, and I put it up high where they can't get to it.

10. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Active Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Until you can get a hay supplier farm stores have an alfalfa timothy mix. It comes in bales usually in the horse section. They need lose mineral.... a lot of people use cattle mineral instead of goat because it has more good stuffs the goaties need. I would also make them their own pen cause they will get into the chicken feed no matter how high you think is safe.... it is most likely not lol! Goats love to climb.... on everything they can get those lil hooves on. E.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. . Make sure to check their hooves to see if they need a trim. Carrots and apples are fav treats here and the goat licorice treats. Just only give a small amount of treats a day... treats sorta dilute the good stuff their grain (if you give it) and hay give them. And growin goaties need the good stuffs. Other have luck with animal crackers and other peopley “junk foods”... ours hate em.

groovyoldlady and goatblessings like this.
  11. ISmellLikeGoats

ISmellLikeGoats Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    I use cattle minerals too (Kandy Mag). As for hay, try FB goat groups or farm groups in your area or Craigslist. It will be a LOT cheaper than feed store hay.

Now is a good time to start looking for hay and saving some up for the winter. Figure out how much they eat in a week and then plan to have that much stored to over winter, you don't want to pay winter hay prices.

Einhorn likes this.
  12. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Agree with the above - goats get into everything. Either clean out the coop and house them separately, or provide alternative housing. And yes - store your hay very soon - prices will go up as the season progresses. Goats can be challenging to maintain at times - most people here can help you have happy, healthy goats. Also take a temp on your goats. Pneumonia can strike very quickly in kids.

13. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    I wouldn't stockpile hay for two goats. Even buying overpriced feed store shrink wrapped hay isn't bad with two. Judging by your description it sounds like you probably don't have a lot of places to store it. I know I don't.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It depends where you live. I have to buy my hay for the year when it is cut. Tractor Supply and other farm stores don't sell good hay and the crappy bagged hay they do sell is terrible. Farmers want empty barns and full bank accounts.