The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dry lot my goats here and when it rains the outside area stinks! I've been using lime but I need to find another thing that will get rid of the smell and everything else.. I clean the outside area every day(I try to). Just wondering if there is anything better you guys have found to work besides lime? Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
When you get it figured out, please let me know. I have the same problem and I have yet to find a solution. :rolleyes:

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
the bigger area they have the less concentrated the smell will be. We run about a 100 head (all sizes) on 5 acres, clean with a tractor 3 or 4 times a year and clean shelters as needed and never have an over whelming smell.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 5 goats on 1.5 acres. It's all dirt. And they have run in shelters incase the weather gets bad and I'm not home to put them in their stalls. Is there something I can put down that would cover up the dirt? Like mulch, top soil, sand or what?

·
I'm watching you
22,378 Posts
I till the pens yearly. It helps keep them draining well and breaks up the urine at the same time.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
That is a really good idea, goathiker, I wonder how it would work on about 8-10' of cow manure.

·
I'm watching you
22,378 Posts
:D you'd need a REALLY deep tiller...and a gas mask...

Tilling the top would break up some of the urine. Might be time to rent a front end loader.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Actually, we have a front end loader and the pens are cleaned regularly. This place used to be a feed-lot and it is impossible to clean out all of the old manure because of the cost of having dirt/sand/etc., hauled in to replace it. I'm not sure there is enough dirt in the western half of the United States to replace the manure. :rolleyes:

·
I'm watching you
22,378 Posts
I understand completely. This place used to be a dry lot horse area. There is a gravel road and parking area buried somewhere. The tilling does still help a bunch because of the drainage. I'm slowly finding The gravel pad. At least horses don't smell quite as bad as cows...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts