The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any specific hays that wethers should NOT eat? I had read somewhere that alfalfa is too rich for them, is that correct? I had also read that bermuda was a poisonous plant for goats, and we have lots of bermuda hay here in Oklahoma. Is that true? Just wondering what kind of hay I should be buying.

Thanks for any help,
Jamie

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
whethers and bucks dont need a lot. A high quality orchard grass is what i feed mine. During rut bucks get a little bit of grain but not much.
They can have alfalfa but in very small amounts.
beth

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
hmm bermuda hay is poisonous -- never heard that but then again I dotn know if I have ever used it before :scratch: name sounds familiar but not sure

As to the hay for wethers - I personaly would just give them grass hay. Like a Timothy or Orchard. You dont want to mess with their calcium/phosperous ratio. It needs to be 2/1

·
Registered
429 Posts
Huh, never heard that about bermuda grass. We feed coastal hay-which is bermuda and fescue. Never had any problems with it.

We've just started feeding alfalfa to our goats-including our breeding/show buck and some soon to be wethers. I keep Ammonium Chloride on hand just in case though and feed it as a preventative as well.

Unless it is a show wether I'd be feeding him a good quality grass hay and just a little bit of grain . Some just feed hay but all my goats get grain.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I very rarely ever give my boys Alfalfa hay. I only give grain as a treat every now and then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts