What hay is good for wethers?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by CodyAcres, May 1, 2009.

1. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Are there any specific hays that wethers should NOT eat? I had read somewhere that alfalfa is too rich for them, is that correct? I had also read that bermuda was a poisonous plant for goats, and we have lots of bermuda hay here in Oklahoma. Is that true? Just wondering what kind of hay I should be buying.

Thanks for any help,
    Jamie

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I typically feed my wethers and my bucks a high protein grass hay that I feed my horses. It is a Timothy, brome, orchard cross hay - and they do well on it.

During rutt, I do either give them alfalfa pellets or a bit of alfalfa hay.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

whethers and bucks dont need a lot. A high quality orchard grass is what i feed mine. During rut bucks get a little bit of grain but not much.
    They can have alfalfa but in very small amounts.
    beth

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Our wether (before we re-homed him) received free-choice mixed grass hay. No alfalfa and a little bit of grain, once a day.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm bermuda hay is poisonous -- never heard that but then again I dotn know if I have ever used it before :scratch: name sounds familiar but not sure

As to the hay for wethers - I personaly would just give them grass hay. Like a Timothy or Orchard. You dont want to mess with their calcium/phosperous ratio. It needs to be 2/1

6. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Huh, never heard that about bermuda grass. We feed coastal hay-which is bermuda and fescue. Never had any problems with it.

We've just started feeding alfalfa to our goats-including our breeding/show buck and some soon to be wethers. I keep Ammonium Chloride on hand just in case though and feed it as a preventative as well.

Unless it is a show wether I'd be feeding him a good quality grass hay and just a little bit of grain . Some just feed hay but all my goats get grain.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I very rarely ever give my boys Alfalfa hay. I only give grain as a treat every now and then.

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Grass hay, becaus alfalfa tends to be too rich for males and can cause stones. I have lost a wether because he had stones.