What I discovered doing my own fecals !

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, May 7, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok.....about a month ago I bought my own microscope and stuff to do my own fecals, but have been having a hard time figuring out what I was seeing.......well this week my new little guy got sick and had to take him into vet, while there they did a fecal on him.....came back with too many cocci to count, which is not good.....but I decided to use this situation to teach myself to do my own fecals, thinking that if there were to many cocci to count then I should be able to make them out really easy....so I did my own last night on him......Yes, I saw lots! So now I know what to look for as far as cocci......I did see 1 worm egg, which are much bigger.......so with this I ran fecals on my 2 older guys and to my amazement I found several cocci on their fecal as well, not as many as the little guy......my older ones just had a clean fecal done at the vets last week! So I am now treating all boys. I am assuming with our warm, rainy, humid weather we have had lately is probably making cooci worse and the fact that mine are on a grassy lot. I am a cleaning fool in my barn so I don't know what else I can do.....I also clean their water pails out 3x's a day. Oh, and my big guys are not in the same pen inside or outside with the little guys.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good for you!

I am going to do a fecal then take it to the vet to check -- dont trust myself yet

Reminds me I need to get on that asap!

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey......when my vet did them (it was probably more like week before last) he called me and gave me the counts on all 3 boys, I hadn't gotten the newest little guy at that point, he said for me to then do my own and compare his counts to mine........but as you know how things go, I got busy and never did them :( ! Anyway, I'm sad that my new little guy got sick and is now having to be treated for cocci on top of his cough and snotty nose......but with him having so many cocci really helped me pick them out on the fecal, I was so confused as to what I was seeing before......I also saved pics from Fiasco site of the pics of eggs she has on there and I had my computer right there next to me when doing the fecals.....it really made a difference in figuring out what was what.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I can find cocci - just cant find worms or maybe they were worm free :shrug:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats cool that you are doing your own. I am gonna have to learn to do it as well...I think it would be a good thing to learn...my vet lets me see what she see's when I have her do them so I don't think I'll have a problem figuring it out.

You likely will see cocci with your bigger boys, stress can bring it on and having 2 new "brothers" very recently could have stressed them a bit.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz.......it costs me $22.00 for every fecal when I just take it in with no visit......I'm a fecal checking nut, so hubby bought me a pretty good students microscope....I'll still have the vet do the fecals every now and then, but in between when I'm just being a worry wart I can run my own and maybe give me peace of mind :greengrin: !

I'm sure your right about the new little guys stressing out my older guys.......they just aren't sure about it all, they also seem a bit jealous! My older guys have had a pretty quite peaceful protected life since coming here, now they have these 2 little loud mouth kids unsettling life on the farm! I'm in hopes that someday the 4 of them can live in harmony together!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Don't worry, you'll have a peaceful little herd in no time, once the initial "shock" is over everything falls perfectly into place.

8. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I did my first fecal last night, First I found 1 single cocci egg nothing else. But at first I thought she was loaded :shocked: but nope they were perfect circles dark edges clear center< air bubbles. I have a hydrometer(used to do saltwater fish) so I did up my float solutin and followed the instructions on Fiascofarms.com. I will do another tonight just to double check.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is wonderful you can do your own fecals....you should be very proud of yourself.....congrats.... :leap: :greengrin:

10. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Congrats!! :clap: I wish I could learn.

11. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Hey Denise! Two thumbs up for all your efforts and already you can see they are paying off. :hi5: Won't take too long to make up for the cost of that microscope!
    By the way, I LOVED seeing the pics of Murphy and his new buddy, and the other Blues Bros. Nice barn! By the way,...what did you name the 4th Bro?!? :?

12. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I recently discovered that my vet only charges $2.50 per fecal...yeah, I had to look at that twice!! That includes to vet 's eval , phone call and recommendations!! Not sure how he makes a living with that low cost. Makes me feel better about dishing out the dough to him occasionally when we get larger fees.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    $2.50? WOW I would send them in. My vet charges $18.50. So what I did was had them run one and they brought me in the back and showed me what to look of, plus I have lots of pictures. If I am not sure then I take a sample in. I have only had to do that once, and they saw what I thought I was seeing so I felt a lot better.

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow.....with only having to pay $2.50, I would be taking them in every week! I am a fecal nut.....I just want to stay on top of things......that is great that he only charges you that amount.

Oh, Jill our 4th little boy is Tom Bones Malone.....a.k.a. Bones.....another band member! He and Murphy are really starting to bond, they are soooo cute together. Murphy just keeps us laughing.....he is so funny! He knows exactly where the treats are kept and is sure to show my husband everytime he is out in the barn.......they all think dad is the treat man!

Iluvlilly! likes this.