what in the world!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Nov 7, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok, so I have sangria's little boy and he got cocci and some kind of infection as he had a temp at 105. So I put him on antibiotics and treated him for the cocci..... now he is doing 100% better but now I was cleaning him up (poopy butt) and cleaning him goopy eyes. His hair is falling out!! I am not even joking you can just grab a chunck of hair and it just falls out!! He has several bald spots all over his body... he is going to be naked before long! At first I thought oh gosh it is ring worm but it is not, nice clean healthy skin and it is not in one paticular spot, his hair is falling out all over his body! oh please help what is this!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have a doe that everytime her coat changes (from winter to summer and vice versa) she looses her entire coat. It is the WEIRDEST thing that I ever saw. And I heard from a couple others that they also have a goat that does that. Just make sure that he is warm - make sure no lice or staph is present - and if not - he should grow in a nice new coat!

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Definately sounds like a mineral deficiency....I do think there is a member here who had an issue with a doe losing her hair, I think it was a deficiency in Zinc, not positive. Is there a way you can have bloodwork done to determine which mineral his body is lacking?

Other than that, this may be normal as Kelebek said...right now my 2 young bucks have spots that are just covered with fine down, they rub the fence alot...your baby might be just blowing his coat and will get the "new" coat in a few weeks.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very good link Toth! Thanks for posting it!

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yes it does sound like a nutrient deficiency..

8. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    That was a wonderful website, thank you! I am thinking stress. Since he has no other signs like rough skin, dry skin, dandruf and so on I am thinking that since he got sick with an infection and cocci he got stressed out and is loosing all his fur. BUT I am going to add some zinc to his diet. He is two months old and is a bottle baby and isent eating solid foods just yet... dont know why he just isent interested. So I have zinc tablets and I am going to do the iodine test on him to see if that is an issue as well. GOsh it just scared the heck out of when I was feeding him his bottle and noticed some bald spots and when I was puling the fur around the bald spot it just came out in my hand and I check the rest of the body and sure enough it just fell out!! :shocked: :scratch: weird

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It is not always a def. I have all my does every year go BALD. The vet said it is just stress, and they grow back a BEAUTIFUL Cashmere coverage everytime after that. I just have to make sure they are able to stay warm.

It was me that had the Zinc def, or should I say my goat. It was only one that had it. Plus she is the one we found out was allergic to the sun. :shrug:

10. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Very normal to lose hair after a high fever. Usually starts a couple of weeks after the fever. Shelly

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The first time this particular doe did it was a couple weeks after I got her. I talked to the previous owner and she had never noticed it before- but this goat had not lived in a huge herd for quite sometime. She is a "nervous nilly" then she did it again about the time season started changing from summer to fall. Now she has a nice thick coat again like when I first got her.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you are welcome.......sixshooter....hope it eased your mind......... I know you have been under so much stress yourself lately.....and I feel so bad for you..... :( :pray:

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    One of our goats would also lose her hair every time she was bred or after she kidded. It was totally normal for her, I guess. Her previous owner said she had done it every time and we put a fleece coat on her and watched her close, making sure she stayed warm.

14. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    yup, hes getting naked!! He looks so horrible and pathetic!!! He has a little sweater on but man this is rediculous!! I mean seriously this cant be healthy, there has got to be an issue why this is happening....so weird

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how is your goat doing...sixshooter.....?

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I know that when sheep get really really sick they often lose their wool when they get better... could be what happened to your little boy.

LW