The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please explain to me, a goat newbie, what a "foundation doe" is?

I was looking at purchasing a new milking doe. . . and the doe has wonderful lineage and genetics, body type, etc., but her udder/teats are kind of wonky - lopsided, misshapen. She's a first freshener.

I was told she'd make an "excellent foundation doe" with the "right buck."

I'd appreciate some perspective on what that means exactly - - - and if it's okay to overlook a cosmetic issue like that.

Thanks!

·
8,272 Posts
A foundation doe would be what you would build your herd on. Like a building, you want to start out with a strong and correct foundation. You do not want to be trying to breed out a major flaw.
An udder and its structure is very important, even in the meat breeds. If a kid can't get milk easily, it won't grow.

The "right" buck would have to overcome all the structural flaws that the doe has. It would be easier to get a correct doe and build on that! No buck can overcome serious genetic flaws. (Some can be made to look better, but there could always be a throwback, down the road).

In the dairy breeds, a good udder and teat structure is very important. Now and in the future. I believe that every breeding should be done with the future in mind. You don't want misshapen teats or a funny looking udder. It won't hold up, mastitis could be a problem, it might be hard to milk for you or the kid might have trouble nursing.

For a foundation animal, look for the best you can afford. Look at its parents and grandparents if possible. Compare it to the breed standard for that animal. I wouldn't buy something just because the "paper" looked good!

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Could someone please explain to me, a goat newbie, what a "foundation doe" is?

I was looking at purchasing a new milking doe. . . and the doe has wonderful lineage and genetics, body type, etc., but her udder/teats are kind of wonky - lopsided, misshapen. She's a first freshener.

I was told she'd make an "excellent foundation doe" with the "right buck."

I'd appreciate some perspective on what that means exactly - - - and if it's okay to overlook a cosmetic issue like that.

Thanks!
How are her udder attachments? And teat placement? If she has kids nursing the wonky shape and uneveness could be that the kids prefer one side over the other. My new doe.. she is a ff. When she came her udder was lospisded cause of this. Now that i milk her it is evening out nicely. I was lookin at it this mornin and there is a big difference now to when she got here three weeks ago. But i also saw pics of her udder before and right after she kidded and it was nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's being milked morning and night - and she doesn't have any kids nursing - they were separated at birth. She's a first freshener. The udder attachment does not seem strong at the sides, and the udder hangs low and lopsided - teats seem misshapen.

I think I'm going to pass on this one and wait a while before finding a milking doe to add to our herd.

I was not familiar with the term "foundation doe." Even if her genetics in this case are great, I know already that everyone wants to see an offspring's dam's udder - and I wouldn't want to show this one! ; )

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I think you are showing wisdom in that decision. A VERY experienced breeder could possibly get around some of this, but why should they if it isn't necessary?

People who buy bucks also want to see dams' udders. So they know what udder genetics they are introducing to their herd. Buyers of bucks are very often MORE picky than buyers of does, because of the immense impact those bucks will have. So you'd probably be able to sell doelings, but have to wether all the bucklings for meat, etc.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Sorry, Trollmor, it is just how I think.
All bucks who aren't good enough to be herdsires get wethered, to prevent people from using them as bucks. The goat quality around me is very poor.

I'm working on not only communicating according to my thinking but to make more options for other people's thinking. But I fail.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Me too sorry, @mariarose, I guess I likewise put my words according to my thoughts! I never think of selling any animal, I kill them myself when needed.

So, when you say "wether for meat" it maybe corresponds to the Swedish expression "take out of breeding"?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Take out of breeding, yes. But also people here (around me) don't like to eat bucks. They say they can taste the difference and don't like the stronger taste of a buck.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Aha. Difference in taste? Never noticed, but, to be sure, I rather like the smell of my friendly, beloved bucks! ;) Another matter with boars, but they can be vaccinated nowadays.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts