The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:kidred:I keep hearing difference of opinions when it comes to a proper bottlefeeding schedule and they vary wildly. Ihave been following what I read in a book but that info only mentions feedingsper day but nothing about quantity. Since a few goat ranchers know I will take abandoned kids, I have afeeling I will keep getting the calls asking me "do you want another kid". I was just handed twins 2 weeks ago. So my questions are: what feeding schedule doyou follow and please include quantities? Also, when do you start introducing grain/pellets? Once again I have been told different thingsby "experts".:kidblue:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I start with 8 oz bottles for my Nigerians 4 times a day. They drink what they drink and gradually will take the whole bottle. When they are drinking the whole bottle I switch to 8-10 oz 3 times a day. I start cutting it at 8 weeks until no more bottles. My kids are generally sampling grain and hay and drinking sips of water by a week old. My vet is an old country vet. He says they develope faster and healthier by feeding earlier. I don't know what the books say, but, knock on wood, all of my kids have grown up strong and healthy.

·
Super Moderator
59,268 Posts
I start out with feeding 1 ounce per pound of body weight and then slowly increase as they seem to need it. I also feed 4 times a day for the first few days and then back down to 3 times a day through 8 weeks.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What grain do you feed? A vet tech told me to introduce pellets when a kid I had was not even 2 weeks old, but a long time goat rancher/feed store employee told me that kids cannot digest the binder used in pellets until about 6 weeks of age and that it will harm their GI track.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I don't bottle raise but all kids here have been nibbling at hay from 5 days to a week old and I feed mama's their grain with their kids until they are 4-5 weeks old then kids start to nibble mama's feed at around 2 weeks as they see her eating it, once they're "really" into it, I start feeding mama separate...usually on the milkstand and kids get their own ration at 4-5 weeks, I've had some start to eat it at 3 weeks but the norm her is 4 weeks

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
I start off by giving what they want every 3-4 hours. Then at about 1 week I cut them to 4 times a day (again what they want). week 2 they are down to 3 times a day (nigerians are at about 8-10 ounces a feeding). by 3-4 weeks they are on 2 a day (nigerians again 8-10 ounces per feeding) till i start weaning at 8-10 weeks to be fully off of milk by 12 weeks.

I put out grain (a meat maker grain that includes a cocci med - typically I use Purina grower 16%) and mix with just a smidge of sweet feed to get their tastes going. I also start with a little hay about about the same time. They may not be eating it- but they are mouthing it. Another good thing - have them with older goats. They learn to be a goat and what to do to graze, eat pellets, and drink water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts