What is a good fence charger

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by cheefulmelody, May 27, 2015.

1. cheefulmelody

cheefulmelody Member

May 27, 2015
    Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I have the age old question of how to keep a goat in a pen. I have about a half acre plus fenced in with horse fencing put up about 8 inches off the ground. Was installed to keep my mare at home before I ended up boarding her again to have an arena to ride in. Now I have two lovely Saanen doelings still on the bottle they are in a pen close to the house for now but they are going to start their escape if I don't get their space ready. Looking for advice on a good charger to run a hot wire along the bottom of the fence and was curious if a top wire would be advised also. I want to be sure to get something with enough bite that coyotes and dogs are not going to be a problem and keep the girls where they are supposed to be. I live in Ohio and am close to Rural king and Tractor supply if either one of those have good choices that would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. showme

showme Getting Started

Apr 28, 2015
    Western Ky
    I bought mine at TSC and I will tell you from experience, you'll need more oomph than you think. I let the guy at TSC talk me into getting just the 1 Joule Zarebo charger. My girls laughed at it--we fenced in more than you. Started off with just 1/4 mile of wire and ended up using 3/4 mile to make 7 strands about 3 inches apart for the first 6 strands and then 9-10 inches above for the top wire.

5 strands spaced 6 inches toward the bottom and 8-9 further up just had my girls jumping right through. If they got shocked, the 1joule charger, wasn't enough to keep them from going on through. I posted about it in frustration

Took the advice here and bumped up to a bigger charger, they don't even attempt to touch it now. And if they get into it by accident (their favorite bush is oh so close), they back up now instead of barreling through.

I have the 2 Joule Zarebo from TSC. I'd say bigger is best if you can afford it.

Good luck!

Jamie

3. cheefulmelody

cheefulmelody Member

May 27, 2015
    I was hoping to spend around 100 for a charger so the 130 that the 2 joule is isn't bad at all. I just don't know what is a good oomph to have for goats.

4. showme

showme Getting Started

Apr 28, 2015
    Western Ky
    From what I've gathered 2 and 3 joules are common. There are several people on here that are running 5-7-9 joules. I would like to think they have many more miles of fencing than either you or I have.

Like I said, even though the 1 Joule Zarebo says it's good for goats, mine had no respect for it.

Whatever you choose, make sure to pick up an electric fence tester to be sure you're getting the power at the fence to shock. I've gathered 6000v is a good minimum. Don't skimp on grounding: I know those rods are expensive, but it's half your fence! I've heard people say a fence is only as good as the ground.

5. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

Just fenced my new pasture. Good rule of thumb is 1 joule per mile of wire...Use enough ground rods in good damp soil

6. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

Yes, a minimum of 6,000 volts is needed.