What is best for goat security???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by speedy94c, Jul 13, 2010.

1. speedy94c

speedy94c New Member

May 31, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    I have a donkey in my small pasture but in my big pasture where I have about 55 goats what should I get to protect them?

Thanks Steve

2. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I would think that a good LGD would be a good buy. I have a Pry and she is awesome. Thee is nothing coming on to my property that she doesn't know about. And her bark alone keeps preditors away!

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Ithcy,

How old is your LGD? Does she wander out of the pasture? What height is the fence? I have a male puppy and I have heard about them taking off and wandering around.

Gina

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree... a LGD.... are wonderful at their job.... :wink: :greengrin: :thumb:

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I also love our great pyrenees. We haven't had her long, but just four nights ago she was barking fiercely at the back end of the pasture....after she rounded up the whole herd and had them standing in a circle at the gate closest to our house. Dh went to check and saw a fox crossing the neighbor's pasture. Awesome dogs!

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If you have time to devote to a new puppy a LGD would be a good idea. I honestly can't think of anything else besides a llama, but it's really hard to find proven guardian llamas and llamas can't stand up to as many predators as a dog.

7. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I love my GP/Anatolian mix girl, and you cannot hardly drag her away from her goats. Matter of fact I am getting her full sister from another litter this weekend. Cross your fingers they will get along.

As far as the roaming thing, I think that might just be each individual dogs personality. But I do have to admit that my neighbor has 2 GP females and a GP/Anatolian male. She cannot hardly keep the females at home, they do not stay gone long but they do wonder around.

8. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    My Pry is 2 years old, so in a sense still a pup. She will wander, especially when the heeler takes off! But, she sees and hears things I don't. They are barkers! when she wanders she does come back in her time. Here in town she thinks she needs to gaurd the whole town, it is her duty! On the 40 acres she can go if she wants and not get into much trouble as I do not have close neighbors. if you get a pup and train it to stay with the goats, it won't go far as she will want to stay with the goats.

I would suggest that if you are going to get a LGD pup, try to get one from someone who raises them for the purpose of gaurding goats or sheep. That way the pup will already have been subject to them and the momma dog will have taught the pup . I do find that a Pry is pretty much an automatic protector of livestock. My heeler will chase, but the Pry loves them and licks on them all the time! even the horses!

9. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    Although my dogs aren't bred specifically for guarding livestock they do in their own way. They make sure nothing and I do mean nothing is in this yard that wasn't put there by me. Crows are chased, snakes are circled and barked at until removed, and all dogs and people know better than to try coming in the gate without permission. I don't have a large area though and my yard is fenced with 5 foot fencing so my dogs can't get out. I'm sure that if you get a young enough dog and the dog can learn where home is and what it's job is it will stay put, it will take training and consistency though. Other than dogs I've heard llamas are good guardians. I would also think about what predators you have that your trying to keep at bay and determine what is going to do that the best.

10. speedy94c

speedy94c New Member

May 31, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    I FOUND A 9 MO OLD PY MALE, HE IS OUT OF WORKING STOCK. NOW THE FUN BEGINS. MY GOATS WERE AT BAY WITH HIM BUT IM SURE WILL GET USED TO HIM IN TIME.
    I HAD HIM IN SMALL PEN I USE AS A QUARINTENE (SP) PEN FOR AN OCCAISONAL SICK GOAT LASTNIGHT AND HE GOT OUT AND THEN OUT OF THE BIG PEN.

11. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Speedy,

Did you find the dog yet?

12. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    9 months is a good age! We brought our girl home at 11 months and I was concerned about her maturity level, but the most puppy thing she has done is drag off all of the feeding dishes after the goats eat and deposit them around the pasture for me to go find.
    Our dog cannot wander because I put up our electric fence specifically to keep dogs out. The lowest strand is 6 inches off the ground and then they are spaced 9 inches apart up to about 4 1/2 feet (more spaced at the top). This also keeps the LGD in, along with little baby goats. :wink:

13. Karen

Karen Active Member

I know Pyrs are great, they are instinctive herders and guards. And there are Prys available in rescue, too - people sometimes get these dogs because they are lovely, and don;t realize that they NEED a job. There's a national rescue group if you are looking :
    http://www.nationalpyr.org/

14. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Prys are not herding dogs. Thier job is to stay with the flock and keep preditors away. Usually by just barking.Now my heeler is a herd dog! Loves to round things up. But, Pry's are guardian dogs and do not have the instinct. like Heelers Or Boarder Collies to herd.

Good luck with your new dog!

15. perdurabo

perdurabo New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    What about places where its hot and humid most of the year like south/central Texas? i think having a Pyrenese or Anatolian would be cruel with their heavy thick fur and all. Are there any smaller shorthair breeds that can be left outside in the pasture 100% of the time with the goats?

16. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I tried the rescue. I was very disappointed. The dog's on Petfinder are now house dogs. I called on a couple to find out about them and was told be three people they would not go to a working home. Pet home only. They had to be inside/outside dogs. ????? I did talk to one lady who was very nice and may give me a call. She had 3 grpry's she had taken in. One was very old and I think she said blind in one eye. She had a big male who was depressed and acted like he wanted something to do. He used to be with sheep til his owner got sick, got rid of the sheep and chained him and another to a tree. The adoption fee is $300.

I know why he's depressed. He didn't want to be inside. He wants his sheep.

Grumpy is happy now that he is with his goats. He wagged his tail and tried to play with me this morning! I'm so pleased with him. He loves my bottle brat Ben. They stand on goat hill and just hang out "guy" talking. :laugh:

Anyone have this happen with a rescue before? I can see a big yard dog if they come from a pet home but out of a working farm? Some don't want to be couch potatoes.

17. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Anatolians are smooth coated dogs. The long coat on GP act as insulation.... it keeps them cooler and adds as an extra defense mechanism against large predators. There are MANY different LGD breeds.... CAS, Anatolian, GP, Maremma, Tibetan Mastiff, Karakachan, Kuvaz, Gampr, Pyrenean Mastiff... just to name a few.... research LGDs. Most long coated breeds shed out in the summer... My Maremmas do. :)