The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I mix for feeding...

1 cup sweet 18% & 1 cup Dumour pellets & 1 cup alfalfa pellets per milking doe..so 3 cups per doe.

I want to up the amount of feed but would like to know what would benefit more...increasing sweet feed, pellets or alfalfa? My doe is losing some body condition...she has 24/7 access to hay pretty much. This hay is horse feed quality....

Her kids were born May 2nd....she is also getting some thinning hair spots. She has free choice manna pro loose minerals and had some Sel/E gel after kidding. I have also dusted her for mites/lice a couple weeks ago.

Any advice on what could be causing the hair loss? Her skin seems flaky since kidding...but she does not itch a lot.....well, more than usual :rolleyes:

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
Here is what I mix for feeding...

1 cup sweet 18% & 1 cup Dumour pellets & 1 cup alfalfa pellets per milking doe..so 3 cups per doe.

I want to up the amount of feed but would like to know what would benefit more...increasing sweet feed, pellets or alfalfa? My doe is losing some body condition...she has 24/7 access to hay pretty much. This hay is horse feed quality....

Her kids were born May 2nd....she is also getting some thinning hair spots. She has free choice manna pro loose minerals and had some Sel/E gel after kidding. I have also dusted her for mites/lice a couple weeks ago.

Any advice on what could be causing the hair loss? Her skin seems flaky since kidding...but she does not itch a lot.....well, more than usual :rolleyes:
Hair loss and declining condition could be possible parasite load. They seem more vulnerable after kidding to parasites. I would increase which ever feed has the most fat content and work parasites.

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
You could run a fecal to be certain. Either one will be safe. Both are good on tapes. I just got done using valbazen. I have used safeguard. It doesn't work very good here.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
We have Dumour feed here too. It is a good quality goat food, you can get "sweet" or "pelleted". I read somewhere that you should not dilute the "high protein" milk ration with a lower protein additive. I think the alfalfa is pretty high (16%)? Maybe 15% on the pellets. Is the "horse hay" a grass hay? I feed my milking does alfalfa hay and they get pasture also. I use alfalfa pellets when I feed grass hay or if they are on pasture. I don't feed it if I have alfalfa hay.

I've heard you can't put weight on a diary doe. They always look thin. However, have you seen any tape worm segments in their pooh? I had tapeworm as a result of the "scur goat" someone left on my doorstep one year. Yuk! Skinny goats!

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
"Sheep and Goats must not be slaughtered within 7 days following last treatment. Because a withdrawal time in milk has not been established, do not use in female dairy cattle of breeding age. Do not use in lactating does."

Someone that has dairy goats for milk consumption would be better to advise you on the withdrawal times. The dosage is 1ml per 10lbs. It is safe to use with does who are nursing kids.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have Dumour feed here too. It is a good quality goat food, you can get "sweet" or "pelleted". I read somewhere that you should not dilute the "high protein" milk ration with a lower protein additive. I think the alfalfa is pretty high (16%)? Maybe 15% on the pellets. Is the "horse hay" a grass hay? I feed my milking does alfalfa hay and they get pasture also. I use alfalfa pellets when I feed grass hay or if they are on pasture. I don't feed it if I have alfalfa hay.

I've heard you can't put weight on a diary doe. They always look thin. However, have you seen any tape worm segments in their pooh? I had tapeworm as a result of the "scur goat" someone left on my doorstep one year. Yuk! Skinny goats!
I am not really "up" on types of hay, but this is not alfalfa hay...No tape segments, poo looks normal.

One thing is, I had to switch hay suppliers a week ago since my usual supplier was out...I really think the hay may be of lesser quality than what I had before...it seems to have a lot of "straw" like pieces....

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Sheep and Goats must not be slaughtered within 7 days following last treatment. Because a withdrawal time in milk has not been established, do not use in female dairy cattle of breeding age. Do not use in lactating does."

Someone that has dairy goats for milk consumption would be better to advise you on the withdrawal times. The dosage is 1ml per 10lbs. It is safe to use with does who are nursing kids.
Thanks GT~ maybe someone else will chime in here....

·
1,524 Posts
3 cups of feed seems like too small of an amount for a lactating Nubian. I feed by weight, mine get 4 lbs of dairy pellets and 4 pounds of alfalfa pellets a day with another pound of soaked beet pulp at each feeding. They pour out the milk, feed their kids and maintain good condition thru their lactation.

Unless you are drinking the milk, any wormer is ok for milkers. Once you start using the milk for the house, you may or may not use it. For my personal use, I don't dump the milk. There is soo little medication coming out in the milk, most is the carrier, that I don't feel there is a problem for me to drink it. I would, however, not sell it to anyone for drinking. Any extra goes to the dogs, cat and chickens.

·
Registered
17,203 Posts
I would up the entire grain ration.
I would also add calf manna, sunflower seeds, beet pulp, and a Lactaion Grain.

My does get 6lbs or grain mix per day, and 2 pounds beet pulp soaked in honey-molasses water, or dry.

It is not exactly the grain you feed which makes them pour the milk, but the roughage they get. Feed a good alfalfa and oat hay. The grain they get just adds fat to the milk and keeps the weight on your does while in lactation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts