What is BOSS?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sungoats, Jan 4, 2008.

1. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I've seen a number of posts that refer to a product called BOSS. Many of you use it, but I've never heard of it. Is it a supplement? Is it grain? Is it used for specific health problems? What are it's uses and doses? Thanks!!!
  2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    BOSS is Black OIl Sunflower Seeds, it adds protien, fat and selenium to the feed and is really good for them. I usually top dress the feed with it.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

BOSS is black oik sunflower seeds. My goats get a generous helping each feeding.
    thee oils had s a natural shne to their coats, its great for helping to put weight on after kidding. And they really do love it.
  4. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I felt so stupid when I finally found out. I googled BOSS. I looked under horse sites. I looked under goat sites, and finally I figured out what it was. I have been feeding black oil sunflowers seeds off and on and never had heard it called BOSS!
  5. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Thanks for your responses!
    Don't feel stupid, Sybil!!! I was doing the same thing! :oops: I thought it was a brand of something and was looking all over for it! :roll:
    So... Where does everyone get it from?
  6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    I get mine at TSC or the feed store
  7. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Hardware store here.
  8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

you can get them just about anywhere that supplies bird stuff, usually the hardware store farm atore and sometimes even the grocery stroe. Our walmart even carries them and they are much cheaper there.
  9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    don't feel bad - when I first joined a forum I had no clue what BOSS was either until I asked just you did.

So I am glad you asked :D
  10. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    I get it from a feed store...but alot of Fleet type stores will have it too; I can't wait till our move to the cities, cause not only will we have (several) PetCo's to get quality cat and dog food from, we will also have REAL Fleet Farms nearby...I can spend tons of time in a Fleet Farm livestock, and pet sections...Lol!!! :lol: I won't have to worry about finding goatie, or horse stuff when I get my critters moved, that's for sure! :wink: