What is causing my doe to go bald?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Fainters, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I purchased a doe last weekend and noticed that she had some scaly patches around her ears. Well I wormed her and gave her some B12 and figured that it was poor nutrition or something. I have added BOSS to her daily ration and instead of getting better, now she has lost almost all of the hair on her ears and on her nose. She is not bald anywhere else on her body. What could be causing this and what should I do??

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know, I would LOVE to know the reason why they lose their hair. EVERY SINGLE doe that kidded is BALD :hair: I have pulled out my hair trying to figure it out.
    Several people say lice. NOPE, they do not have it and we dusted JUST IN CASE. The stress from kidding. OK, maybe but ALL the goats? I don't think so. They have been doing this for three years now. I mean they are BALD. The Vet said they might be lacking in A&D. No matter what your hay tests are when you test it, it always losses some of the nutritional value as it sits. So he said to give a A&D shot before they kid and if I miss it before then do it right after they kid. Did that. They are all fed good food, and all that they want. The last resort is to bring them to the vet and have them run a complete blood panel and see if they are lacking something.
    If you went to touch them the hair just comes out in your hand by the root.

I had to order foal blankets for them because it is cold and they are just shivering. I really can not explain how bald they are. They look like Mexican hairless but in goats.
    The only advantage is they look GREAT after it grows back in and thank the Lord it is back in before show season.

So if you figure it out, please let me know. :hair: :hair:

3. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Our Daisy is bald too. She looks weird. :hair: :scratch:

4. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I think it is strange because this is the only doe in my herd of 50 that is losing her hair and she has not kidded (due in 6 more weeks). Her hair on the rest of her body is fine. I thought maybe parasites but am just not sure. I put Nu-stock on it since they say that will grown hair on a doorknob but I would like to find the reason. I sure hope she doesn't lose all her hair. YIKES!