The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a vaccine or do u treat when they get it? Where can I get the treatment. Can one show signs before the others?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
You can treat them as a preventative measure, or you can treat when they get it. There are several different meds you can use - I don't believe you vaccinate for coccidiosis. I've heard Baycox, Sulmet, and dimethox dimethox reccomended. I used Corid because our vet gave us that, but it not recommended by most, as it ha been known to cause thiamine deficiency. I didn't have any problems, but I got dimethox for next time to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I got dimethox from Hoegger, you can probably get something from Jeffers, or your vet.

And yes, I believe that one could show symptoms before another. Some goats handle it better than others; their body builds resistance to it.
Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
:ROFL:
As far as I am concerned Cocci is a minion of the devil...
Ohhh my you worded that perfect!!!! I had it for the first time this year, it sucks bad. The worst part is those kids figure out fast your no good and give you nasty stuff and after the first dose they see you and run for their life lol.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I recommend ordering Baycox from horseprerace.com and have it ready..I order two bottles before kidding season so Im armed and ready..1 cc per 5# I dose once at 3 weeks if there are not signs of Cocci and do a second treatment in 10 days if there are symptoms...then I only treatif needed..so far I havenot needed to treat a second round..and its not bittler nasty stuff to give for five days..only to have to repeat again and again ..yuk. Baycox is the way to go...well worth the money and time saved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts