The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Goats, chickens, ducks
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this morning that my chicken was alone in the coop, I thought nothing of it, when the others were eating she was nowhere to be seen. She was still in the coop. She normally doesn't let me come close to her but she just lied there and let me pick her up... She is acting very tired, closing her eyes a lot, even when being held, laying down 98% of the time, and not holding her wings to her body. She isn't laying eggs yet and is about 4 months old.
Bird Beak Owl Feather Tableware
Bird Beak Terrestrial animal Galliformes Feather

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
Does she feel boney when you pick her up? My first thought is possible coccidia or parasites. I would start there. I give pumpkin puree with Clove and cayenne pepper. I also give my birds diluted toltrazuril..or a ess. Oil blend, but some use corid in the water to address coccidia. My as well treat all birds in that coop.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,141 Posts
What does her crop feel like? Hard? Soft? Is she eating?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well that's good, she most likely doesn't have sour or impacted crop.

Does she have bumblefoot (scabs on the bottom of her feet)?

Does her abdomen feel full and/or tight like a water balloon?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
No bumblefoot and she feels like a normal chicken other than being boney...
I am also assuming parasites like @happybleats, I have never had any internal parasite issues with my flock so I don't have any advice for treatment, but @happybleats gave some great advice above! Hope your girl will be okay!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

The chicken in this thread has very similar symptoms. There might be some helpful info in there too.

·
Registered
Goats, chickens, ducks
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE

Unfortunately we lost her tonight.... Her name was Mohawk as when she was growing she had a slight Mohawk from her feathers. She was a really sweet girl and loved to hang out. I want to sincerely thank everyone who responded so quick and hope that this thread will help everyone who has the same problem. She died two days after noticing her acting weird..... I just hope I did everything I could... again thank you everyone

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Again, I'm very sorry you lost Mohawk. Chickens are very good at hiding things from us. Most of the time when we notice something is wrong with them, it's too late. We recently got rid of all but two of our chickens since they would always get some kind of health problem (I have no idea why we really did try our very best to keep them healthy). Between waterbelly, bumblefoot, bubble eye, cross beak, mites, lice, scaly leg mites, sour crop, impacted crop, egg bound, and more I can't think of right now, we've pretty much had it all! We ended up just keep the cross beaked chicken (and her BFF) since she is sooo sweet and we know no one else would have the time to feed her. Sorry again for your loss, we have loss many chickens even after intense treatment to try and save them, but unfortunately, chickens are just fragile creatures.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts