The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Problem salved, update post #49)

I have a young FF doe who has been through it her whole pregnancy. Some of you have helped on her thread -here- regarding a sickness she has had since we purchased her (still coughing and gurgling ugh)

She is due on Friday the 29th.

Sunday the 17th I gave her BoSe after discussing with her breeder. We are in a deficient area.
Some time after that I noticed her very strait nicely conformed legs horribly "cow hocked" and to the point that the left hind toe points directly sideways.
(I noticed after the shot, that is not to say that it couldn't have happened before and I've missed it!)
Thought this must have to do with the loosening to give birth but its nothing I've ever personally experienced in my relatively few 10 or so kiddings...???

Wednesday the 20th I noticed she limped a little and began to lay down often. I have looked the leg over for injury, at that point pulled her out of the thick straw bedded stall that hid her feet... and looked at her feet. You can see in the second photo her hoof, which is crazy to me because it was not shaped like that two weeks ago when we trimmed her! Her heels look crushed, both hinds, but only on that left hind does she stand as pictured.

Now, I've contacted a goat educated farrier to come take a look at her asap. Over the phone the suggestion was that the extra weight she is carrying has something to do with it, I don't know but in case I am doing something terribly wrong in trimming her I've contacted someone to come look.

Thursday and Friday she increased in laying down and her bubbly feisty personality is sad and just wants hugs and hip rubs. She is eating well, though now fast forwarding to today she eats mostly laying down.

I noticed over the past couple of days that the ankle joint on that leg like, pops, when she walks and by today her back end is quite weak and shes fallen under herself twice that I've seen. So now shes laying there with her aggravated lungs, coughing because she cannot get up easily and a back end that has been steadily declining in usability and my vet doesn't know what is going on.

I've googled and googled - pregnancy toxemia? Now wondering if theres any chance its selenium toxicity?
It seems like a lot of drama to all be stemming from the hoof itself?

I wish it was easier to explain, sorry its such a long question... is this familiar to anyone at all?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
It may very well be toxicity, especially it happened after giving it. Was it Bo-se? If so, how much? SQ?

Usually with pregnancy toxemia, the ankles get very swollen, normally the front ones.

Do you have white tail deer around, mengeal worm comes to mind as well, it can weaken the rear end, prompt treatment is crucial.

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was bo-se, I always under dose a bit. Gave 2cc. Full size lamancha, she got it 6 days ago sq. And yes, we have deer around but never where the goats are?

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
Deer don't have to be in the pen. Snails will bring it into your field. It is a 60 day incubation period.

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I live in Northern MI. The snails haven't been on the move since the beginning of October and its barely been above freezing yet this "spring". No bugs, does that rule that one out? We're high, dry and sandy, not near any wet area..
I haven't read up on that, but I'll look into it now.

If it is selenium, what would I do?

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Her symptoms do not match what I have found thus far on the worm, no other neurological symptoms and no skin lesions? But I'm no expert, this is the first I've heard of it! Still looking... can I just dose a pregnant goat with 5 days of 5x Safeguard?

I am REALLY worried that its the selenium, but I cannot find much information.
Nothing could be done if so?! What happens???

No ketone strips but I JUST read that I can pick up the people ones at a pharmacy and that will work, is that true?

·
Registered
88 Posts
This sounds almost exactly what my doe did last year when she was still two months out from kidding. I tried treating the symptoms only to have another one more confusing than the last pop up and she'd relapse into staggering or I'd be helping her up every few hours. I FINALLY broke down and drove the hour+ to a vet because she was pushing with her head and I knew that was an end of line type sign..
He diagnosed meningeal worm even in the middle of January. He gave her a long lasting antibiotic (in case it was listeriosis), a shot of ivermectin and a shot of banamine. I gave her safeguard, vit B 3x a day, the banimine he sent me with, and la200 at home. She amazingly pulled through AND gave me two gorgeous doelings. Not sure if it was toxemia or MW but I do know that I credit her life to BANAMINE. Wish I could get it non RX and have it on the shelf always...

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thank-you.
Ketone strip test was OK.
Goat farrier equally stumped on her whole condition, said the heels could be taken down a bit but otherwise we've not ruined her feet so thats not it. Thought her diet was great. Gave no thoughts on the leg other than to comment on how loose her ligs are and I stated they've been like that for quite some time and he also wondered if that played into the leg issue.

OK, yesterday she was laying down breathing heavy. The cough that she has been unable to kick worsened yesterday, I took her temp given the breathing change and it was 104 so I started her on Nuflor as I have been very worried with the laying down so much this could turn into Pneumonia. (Panicked because I thought I over dosed her and asked on here to make yet another thread for this poor doe!) Six hours after the Nuflor she spent most of the evening up munching on hay and last night her temp was 101.5 (No banamine, just Nuflor)

Now I've obtained a stock pile on Safeguard and can treat for this - what is the dose? I bought horse tubes and goat liquid.

But I did want to run a video past you all, it was hard to get her doing much walking other than right by me to chew on the camera so this is only so helpful... She walks with a hitch in her step like a limp. Her ankle has "given out" with shes stepped up a ledge or something (twice that I've seen) but she is not dragging a leg, staggering, tracking sideways or anything else. Standing she stands with the LH turned out as mentioned and she will lightly stomp that leg while standing up.
I just run all this by again as I have NO experience with this at all.

Now I have the Safeguard and go ahead and begin treatment....
She is now on Nuflor for the next 5 days and has been treated for lice so this will be yet another thing! If shes had MW though it might explain why she cannot kick a cold and is the only goat I see lice on (though I treated them all in case) - she'd be run down!

So, final thoughts and dose? Thank-you all!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts