The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I noticed that Flower’s horns were peeling a little and figured that was normal. They are growing and finally gaining weight like they should. However, when I came home today there was way more peeling, and Snowball looked like he had rubbed the tips on something… I read that it’s pretty normal for growing kids and not usually indicative of some major medical problem. Then I read that it can be mineral deficiency, etc. So, as usual, now I’m freaking out. I’m attaching some pictures. Any thoughts and/or advice would be much appreciated. I thought they were doing better with eating their minerals, but maybe they’re like the 1st grader who gives their broccoli to the dog or hides it under a chair lol.

I give them loose minerals to eat, they also have free choice baking soda and salt - both of which they like - and their grain as well as minerals has ammonium chloride since they are wethers (boys in general need it, from what I understand). I went to TSC and found a huge mineral block but don’t want to waste my money. Vet says to try it but I know you all have given me other options. I just don’t want to do anything to hurt them and not even know that I’m doing it.

Thanks so much to all of you.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
No need to freak out. They are growing fast and the horns do this during large growth periods.

They don't need baking soda free choice. Could you be more specific about what "salt" you are offering free choice and how you are feeding the loose minerals? The loose minerals should be free choice.

Grain with added ammonium chloride is good.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loose minerals are better than the mineral block, as goats can't lick it correctly is what I've heard...
Yeah, that was one of the things I learned on here! Logically, I know they eat what they need, but I get so nervous that they don’t get enough of what they need. I just want to take the best care of them :)

Reactions: K.B.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts