The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I noticed that Flower’s horns were peeling a little and figured that was normal. They are growing and finally gaining weight like they should. However, when I came home today there was way more peeling, and Snowball looked like he had rubbed the tips on something… I read that it’s pretty normal for growing kids and not usually indicative of some major medical problem. Then I read that it can be mineral deficiency, etc. So, as usual, now I’m freaking out. I’m attaching some pictures. Any thoughts and/or advice would be much appreciated. I thought they were doing better with eating their minerals, but maybe they’re like the 1st grader who gives their broccoli to the dog or hides it under a chair lol.

I give them loose minerals to eat, they also have free choice baking soda and salt - both of which they like - and their grain as well as minerals has ammonium chloride since they are wethers (boys in general need it, from what I understand). I went to TSC and found a huge mineral block but don’t want to waste my money. Vet says to try it but I know you all have given me other options. I just don’t want to do anything to hurt them and not even know that I’m doing it.

Thanks so much to all of you.

·
Registered
hobby goats
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loose minerals are better than the mineral block, as goats can't lick it correctly is what I've heard...
Yeah, that was one of the things I learned on here! Logically, I know they eat what they need, but I get so nervous that they don’t get enough of what they need. I just want to take the best care of them :)

Reactions: K.B.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts