The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had two kids born this morning...hooray!!! But, of course, they were born in a snow storm- 28 degrees, 30mph winds, with a 13F windchill. Being unsatisfied with the temps in the kidding stall we made, I moved them into my porch in the basement, but it's not an ideal situation for mom and babies to live in (for us or them). At what temp would moving them back to the kidding pen, then back outside, be suitable? We are looking at highs in the high 40s to low 50s next week with lows in the high 20s or low 30s. I don't want to risk them getting too cold at night. Right now momma and babies seem to be doing well. Babies are nursing and going to the bathroom and mom is eating and drinking. All three are napping now. Should I look at putting a more permanent pen in the porch of the basement for overnights? I am using a heat lamp (safely) right now to keep them warm.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
I just had two kids born this morning...hooray!!! But, of course, they were born in a snow storm- 28 degrees, 30mph winds, with a 13F windchill. Being unsatisfied with the temps in the kidding stall we made, I moved them into my porch in the basement, but it's not an ideal situation for mom and babies to live in (for us or them). At what temp would moving them back to the kidding pen, then back outside, be suitable? We are looking at highs in the high 40s to low 50s next week with lows in the high 20s or low 30s. I don't want to risk them getting too cold at night. Right now momma and babies seem to be doing well. Babies are nursing and going to the bathroom and mom is eating and drinking. All three are napping now. Should I look at putting a more permanent pen in the porch of the basement for overnights? I am using a heat lamp (safely) right now to keep them warm.
As long as the are dry and in a draft free place they should be ok. Give a nice deep layer of straw for bedding. You can make a warming barrel that only the kids can go into to get warm too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
We have kidded before in January with temps much lower than that. Once the babies are born and dried off, and are nursing and getting warm milk, they do fine inside the barn with deep bedding and I add a heat lamp although many don't use it. It's the freshly born and wet phase that can be dangerous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts