The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning while I was hanging some towels on the line Bambi grabbed a clothespin and started chewing. I got it away from her but as soon as I turned my back she was back to the basket and grabbed another one. I think she might have swallowed it. A few hours later I went into the cabin (my storage area) to get some goat minerals and Sport started chewing on the screen door. What is it with dried out wood? We have had rain lately, lots of yummy green stuff growing. But they want to eat dried out wood. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Goats are browsers by nature, not grazers like horses, cattle and sheep. They'd rather strip the bark off a tree than eat the tender grass growing right below it. Chewing wood is normal. It doesn't necessarily indicate a salt or mineral deficiency like it does sometimes with other livestock.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whenever we are home and weather is okay, we let them out to graze. They have plenty of Mountain Cedar (juniper) trees to munch on, which they love. These goats are getting plenty of fiber. At least the bark is from living trees, unlike clothespins and dried out screen doors.

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
Ah, goats. Crazy things that like to eat everything that you would rather they didn't eat. :p

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which reminds me,. We built our milking stand using pallets. While I milk Bambi, Lawn Mower (Boer) likes to chew on the pallets. Since Bambi gets grain and other goodies to eat while being milked, I am wondering if Lawn Mower is jealous, as she gets none.

·
80 Posts
I've lost 3 evergreens due to these darling goats!!! I wrapped my olive tree but they were able to get that off, so now I need to rewrap it before it dies!
note to self: goats eating bark off trees causes said barkless tree to die!!

·
4 Posts
When I want to clear an overgrown area to open up more pasture I send in the goats. Some eat all the weeds and vines, particularly poison ivey, sumac and wild grape. Some go straight for the trees. Since these are all young saplings they really like these tender trees. After the goats have "barked" the trees of course they die then I can knock them down and open up the pasture to more sunlight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts