What is the best goat for milking purposes?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Parsonswife, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Parsonswife

Parsonswife New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Hello, I'm a new member....
    I'm wanting to purchase a coupla goats for milking purposes for our home supply.
    I have small children, and I don't want a "pushy" goat, I would like your input on this.
    Which is the best milker and the best temperment?
    :sun:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome!

Everyone will probaby have their favorite goat breed to suggest but I hear that lamancha goats are pretty layed back goats. Some people can't get past the "lack" of ears though.

3. Phoenix83

Phoenix83 New Member

Feb 6, 2008
    My vote is the Nubian, they are sweet, easy to keep and good sweet milk too!

4. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I vote Nubians, but that is because they are the only dairy breed I've ever had.

In every breed you'll always have your "wild" one or "pushy" one. You could go and handle the doe before you buy her....that is what I would do if I were only looking for a family milker. :)

5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'd vote Nubians as well, but like Jacque it's the only dairy breed I've owned. I sure love my Nubies though. :)

6. eliya

eliya New Member

Of course you all know what my suggestion will be ~ MiniNubians!

They are small enough to handle yet milk about 2/3rd the amount as a full sized doe on about half the feed. They are CUTE and very friendly. Their milk is very rich and sweet. They are gentle and good with kids. Small enough to for youngsters to handle but not so small that you break your back whenever you try to lead them :D

Like Jaque said, you will have your 'pushy' ones with every breed, so talk to the breeder to find one that comes from a more gentle line.

Good luck finding the perfect milkers for your family!

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  8. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I vote Saanens. Most are good milkers and their milk tastes pretty good to:). LaManchas are a close 2nd as for the most part they are pretty mild in temperament(at least mine are).

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Welcome to the Goat Spot!

I'm putting my vote in for LaManchas. They are such great goats, they are so sweet, they gives lots of milk with good butterfat(great for cheese) and their milk tastes great. Another great thing about LaManchas is that they have been bred for long consistent lactations. LaManchas do not have the lactational curves like other breeds do, their production stays pretty constant.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would have to go with saanens or lamanchas for a full sized goat. they seem to be the most laid back of all the large breeds. If you want small you may want to consider a mini something ( a full sized dairy goat crossed with a nigerian) they are good milkers and tend to be smaller. Or manye a nigerian if you have little kids. Or another breed to consider is a kinder, they are a cross between a nubian and a pygmy. they tend to be more laid back like a pygmy but are small and cute and give a lot of milk high in butterfat. They are also a dual purpose breed, meaning they make good meat goats as well. Which you may find out that you like a lot. And you can sell your little boy kids for meat.
    by the way welccome to the group and the world of goats!
    beth

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I say Nigerians =) She have tht highest butterfat, they are very easy to handle and cute cute cute! You want to make sure you go with good milk lines too. Another good think about Nigis is they are generally easy to sell as lost of people love them for pets.

12. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Not a nubian. I have had goats of many breeds in my time, and the nubians are sweet and needy, and a little on the stupid side. I know many floks just love them, but not I. I mean no offense! Have you ever tried to back up a nubian? They are like sheep and can't figure it out. Yes, I am not just talking a few dumb ones, I have worked with many.
    Saanens are calm and easy. can be considered boring, they are so easy.
    Lamanchas are intelegent and sweet, my fav. But some will have opinions of their own.
    Alpines can really have a mind of their own, a lot of fun.
    Togs, I have lettle experience with, but have thier milk can have a much different flavor.
    Oberhalsi, I have little experience with but have heard great things.
    Who cares about breed, get one that you like the temperment of. (not just the looks.)
    THT :)

13. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Here is my 2 cents. My very first goat was a saanen and I loved her dearly but she was a pet when I was growing up. I purchased 2 nubians as that was the main breed in my area. I love their look but they were too LOUD! I then purchased my first alpine. They are very dominant breed and pushed my nubians around. I have had nigerians which I loved dearly but the bloodlines I had were also LOUD. LaMancha's and saanens appear to be a very quiet and mellow breed and I would probably choose one those breeds.
    Sue

14. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Let me add my welcome and say first I do not raise dairy goats, so these other folks know their stuff and I won't even pretend to know 1/100th what they do about dairy goats. I have a Nigerian Dwarf (don't ask why with a herd of Kikos, cause that's a loooooong story!) and love her, but do not milk her, she is a pet. I have a friend with an Oberhaslie herd and 2 of her girls stayed here for 2 months and I fell in love with them. I liked their "in between" size and they were the sweetest things on 4 feet! But, that may have just been their particular dispostion. This friend has had LaMaches, Nubes, and Obies and is now only raising Obies, as she liked them the best, for what it's worth!

15. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I do agree on the fact that most oberhaslis are pretty mild tempered and pretty enjoyable to be around. I have mini oberhaslis and they to are pretty mello.

16. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I love my Nubians, I have to disagree with jBlaze completely. My Nubians are INCREDIBLY smart and will do almost anything I ask them too, and I have them in with SHEEP! :roll: And you can get a nice even tempered, quiet one fairly easily. I've only had them since May though. :oops:

17. eliya

eliya New Member

The Nubians in general tend to be less smart than some of the other breeds. The Nigerians are WAY TOOOOO SMART! They seem to be able to get out of anything. This is why I like the MiniNubians so much - They are just as cute as the Nubians (if not more), but are not as stupid as the Nubians and not too smart like the Nigerians. They are the perfect cross between the two breeds. You get the best of both worlds with the MiniNubian!

They have super high butterfat as well.

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im going to have to agree about the nubians, though i have met some nice nubians they tend to be loud and not as smart as some of the other breeds. If you're looking for a dairy goat that produces two or more gallo9ns a day i would say go with the saanen. They are very mellow laid back and easy to handle. Lamanchas would be my second choice. Alpines tend to be curious and get into everything they can be pushy too.
    beth

19. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I am sorry, but my Nubians are not dumb. They can be a little slow sometimes, but once they get the hang of whatever you are teaching them they are fine. I had a doe named Lady and she would look for things to do to get in trouble and I am not kidding! We cleaned off my Dad's work bench one time and she noticed that and would jump up there everytime she saw the chance! And would look at me like "Ha! Whatcha gonna do now?!" She was a coming yearling at the time. My Nubians can be loud, but only when it comes to feeding time.

The Saanens I've seen are not laid back...we bred a couple Nubian does to a Saanen buck and those kids were so pushy! LaMancha's can be just as noisy as a Nubian.

Just my 2 cents. :)

20. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Umm.......before there is a big blow-up on this topic.. i'd just like to say that in every breed you can have those "Pushy" goats. I've seen it in the 3 breeds i've been around for a while. But, i've got to say that Saanens are not all pushy, there's acctually quite a few nice ones here. As for Nigerians, my minis are half nigerian and they are acctually quite nice. And there are Nubians that can be pretty mellow-even though they are the first ones you hear at the show. Acctually I dont think i've seen one that is to fiesty.