The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what is the best goat in how quiet they are .. and the calmest of the dairy goats.. I was told the Nubians are the loudest and the alpine was the tallest

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
The best goat depends on your needs..if quiet is your need then I would have to say Saanen...they are very quiet and docile but the larges dairy goats breed..and only come in white lol
Nubian are the loudest by far lol...but I love my girls...
Lamancha are pretty quiet, come in lots of color but some dont like the tiny ear thing ( they are my favorite breed).
Oberhalsi seem to be quiet, docile and come reddish brown with black markings...
Alpine seem a bit high strung, but that from reading about them not personal experiance :)

when you are ready to get goats..read up on each breed and find one what fits your needs and location and space...I love Lamancha but they dont sell well in my area, Saanen sell like hot cakes and Nubian sell well too...so I have a bit of all three..
if you are limitedon space but wants more than a few..then Nigerians are great..they are cute..come in tons of colors and take up less space, but they are short and need a table make for htem for milking...so lots to consider befire you decide : ) but lots to choose from too...

·
Registered
905 Posts
My favorite is the French Alpine. Their milk is sweet, and doesn't have that "goatie" flavor, and they are very nice animals. We have one who is a little bossy, so we filed down her horns a few inches and that adjusted her attitude quite well.

Everyone will have their favorites, but you just have to explore the different types and chose what will work best for you. I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide on. I'm sure any goat you get will be wonderful. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just wanted to know in the dairy goat... What is the calmest and quit of goat... Because that is what I want.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Well... I have Alpines.. They're calm for the most part.. but they can be spazzes sometimes. All goats talk, and there are generalizations about every breed, you may find a Nubian that's wait for it.. NOT loud! :lol: But, before you buy a goat, meet the individual goat, don't just assume because they are such and such breed that they will be calm or quiet :)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I agree with what has been said. I have Nigerians and just got started in LaManchas this year and I LOVE both breeds, but my LaManchas are soo calm and docile! Even with my little goats :)

I think that every breed has it's person, so the goats that work for me, may not work for you ;)

I agree with Karen, go to all the farms you can and see what breed grows on you :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we have nigerians alpines and nubians. we had always seen and heard that nubians are the loudest, some are some arent. ours are very soft spoken so that theory is out the window, our alpines also quiet and happy. our nigerians are as a rule very quiet unless they are in heat. if i could have nubians that were all as quiet as our 6 yr. old doe thats what i would take, but i think she is the exception to the rule.. i think the best tasting milk is nigerian hands down. my suggestion is to look at and listen to and taste the different breeds milk and of specific goats before you buy, you'll have to get 2 anyway, so see what is around you, so that you won't have have to look so hard to find a buck when you/ they need one.

·
8,181 Posts
I agree with everyone- go to farms, etc. and look at each goat. One will probably jump out at you as kind you really like!
When you do decide to get a goat, be sure and get two! They need a buddy and do much better together. Happy Searching!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Guernsey's, they are very calm and quiet, take things in stride very well. They are a smaller goat, but not a dwarf, they are awesome! Rich yummy milk also.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i would agree with all that is said.

but MOST IMPORTANT is to GO and see goats. visit, hang out with them, and find ones that are best for you, your family and your needs. remember that stereotypes are there for a reason, but not every body/thing fits them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts