What is the best vaccination schedule for kids?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by whitepackgoats, Jun 9, 2020.

1. whitepackgoats

whitepackgoats New Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Oregon
    I have 3 goats: Leo is 4 weeks, Henry and Gifford are 11 weeks. Leo has not had any vaccinations yet, his breeder recommended CD/T starting at 4 weeks. The breeder of my other two gave CD/T at 8 weeks and recommended that they get it again at 90 days. Online most of the advice seems to be that you only give CD/T twice, once at 8 weeks and once 3 to 4 weeks later, but some sites recommend a 3-dose regimen (4, 8, and 12 weeks). These are my first goats so I haven't done vaccinations before (but I have experience giving them to puppies and horses). What is the best vaccination schedule?
    Also, should I be doing any other vaccinations right now?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Lots of different thoughts on this. - BUT always do a booster for the first vac withing 2-4 weeks - I do three. When to start is a question. I prefer later IF the dam was vaccinated and up to date prior to kidding. People who choose the earlier dates do typically do it three times.

MadHouse and whitepackgoats like this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I vaccinate my does, 1 month prior to kidding.

The kids will get their first CD&T vaccine shot at 2 months old, then 21 to 28 days later. And ready to go to their new homes. ;)

MadHouse and whitepackgoats like this.
  4. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I vaccinate the doe one month before kidding and then vaccinate the kids at 1 month and again at 2 months old.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I also strongly recommend a pneumonia vaccination