What is the best way to dehorn a 2 mth old kid?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Feb 1, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yep, just what the subject line says :wink:

I havent seen her yet so I dont know how big the horns are. She's an alpine

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Its really going to depend on how big those nubs are. :shrug:

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    IC :greengrin: Will let you know when I get her then lol actually I am bad think I will be getting two ... or three ... only one alpine there but lots of toggies. They are excess to requirements at a commercial dairy, they are cheap not flash at all but I'm thinking I will get them registered appendix D and start from there ...

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    got to start somewhere. As to the horns -- I would band them if they are to big to burn (most certainly) as at their age they would fall off pretty quick.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks stacey. I was thinking banding would be best

6. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    Just wondering...if you burn them off at that age will they still fall off or just quit growing? I've never had to do any that big so I was kind of curious.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Actually if they aren't to long and if its a doe kid you can dehorn them with an iron still. We did a 2 month old for a neighbor and her horns were about 3/4-1" and we had no problems with it. The doe did have a recurring scur but it wasn't a big one and didn't really cause any problems.

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I've never waited that long to dehorn my babies, but I have a freind who has gotten behind. She has a larger disbudding iron with a loop that fits around bigger horns that she uses. For kids with bigger horns, she has sometimes pulled the horn cap off with a pliers after loosening it with the iron and then went back and burned off the horn bud with the iron.

9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    at 2 months on a dairy doe I'd say the horns would be at least an inch long, going by how my goaties were. I waited until Demi was about 6 months old to dehorn her - as it was summer time so she couldnt be dehorned then. It was a surgical procedure, and she was under anaesthetic. It was gross, gorey... and I had to change dressings for a couple weeks afterwards... I mean, i guess it worked, she's a beautiful little (?) dehorned girl now, but... I would never do it again.

The method you use depends on what you're prepared for... As the horns are part of the skull, when they get cut off, you get a hole right down into the sinus cavity, which is right next to the brain, so you have to be VERY careful with keeping it clean as you really dont want an infection there.

Hopefully the nubs arent too big to disbud her with an iron - I dont know about banding. A friend of mine tried it with a goat she bought off me who had about 4 inch long horns, it didnt work, and now he just has permanently disfigured horns.

LW