What is the biggest sacrifice you have made for your goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Mcclan3, Aug 28, 2014.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you know I dont think Ive had to sacrifice anything for my goats. I refuse to let a hobby rule my life. So if that means skipping a show to go to my cousins wedding, I go to the wedding! If it means paying someone to feed the goats while Im on vacation, I go on vacation with my family!

I actually think goats are easier then having a dog - I dont have to be home at a specific time to let the dog out! I can just come and go as I please. Hence why we dont have a dog!

as to money -- goat sales pay for their feed. I dont allow my herd to get big enough so that is a burden to our finances. Its all about managing and knowing what we can afford.

2. rebelINny

rebelINny Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I don't think we have really sacrificed much. It's just a way of life and if you love it, it isn't sacrifice it's a privilege. Yes my goats keep me grounded, I know after working a 9 hour day I still need to get to milk and feed when I get home but I love it and I love my goats!

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Hmmm... well, I've had to give up seeing my family as much as I used to see them :( It's hard to get away and worry about who is going to take care of the goats, especially in the summer with my kids showing in 4-H, goats have a routine, and hard to mess it up even for a weekend or week.

Before getting goats, I was actively learning more about photography, planning to get new camera equipment, invest in a new/really good laptop, etc. But, of course after getting goats, I've had to make do with what I have lol I had considered at one time learning more and starting an official business.
    But, I am not upset, I am happy with what I am doing, I photograph horses on/off through the year, and like that I don't have a huge amount of pressure over me every day like my photographer friends have to deal with. I'm no fancy, artistic/out of this world photographer, but it's a fun hobby/side job.

I am a stay at home mom & have been since I was pregnant with my 7yo daughter.
    I used to have $$ for shopping, getting things for the house, going to the movies, all the trips to see my family <4hr drive one way>.
    Now, all my $$ goes on the goats & my kids. We are always planning something with the goats, having to do this or that, needing this or that.
    We are getting ready to make a new hay shelter for them so you can guess where any extra $$ I have is going...

Amazing how these critters get hold of you and control your life lol ;)

4. bethm

bethm BethM

Aug 27, 2014
    Rwanda
    The day before I was to sign a five-year rental contract on an affordable home in a prime location (that had no grass or trees), my roommate asked if I wanted to buy his goats (saving them from being his future dinner).

Since then, I have spent four months bouncing around four locations... each with mini horror stories like drinking boiled dirty roof water that made me sick (it took a while until I realized the water tank was being filled from the roof gutters for free instead of the city water pipes which would cost the cheap landlord very little). The latest place has an ant infestation, water only 60% of the time with none for days on end, and is in a lovely slum with many criminals... one of whom decided to visit us last week but was caught by soldiers.

I am still searching for an affordable home with a large garden -extremely difficult in Kigali and moving to the country would guarantee the goats get stolen sooner or later, plus I'd never attract roommies. So, my plan to live super cheap by renting a house and getting roommates has been thwarted. I also have to have round the clock staff to guard them (though that's kind of normal even if you just have a home). I would imagine the goats that I paid less than $100 for to keep solely as pets will cost me several thousand extra in the end -like half a year's salary over here. Since I have no job here yet, it is eating away at my savings quickly.

So, yes, it is an incredibly foolish -OK, downright stupid -financial move on my part. Still, the goats get to live joyously (compared to being dinner) and they bring me great happiness which is priceless. :rainbow:

5. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Everything, everyday. :)

6. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

The only real sacrifice I make is my time. Which in all actuality is something I'm willing to give up. Having horses, chickens, dogs, rabbits, goats, pigs and cows the goats take up minimal room and don't take that long to tend to. We lived in a 900sq ft horrible single wide with three kids (all under 3 years old) so that we could save to move onto a bigger property. We just moved into out new property and it is like heaven to us! At 3400sq ft my family finally has room and we doubled our acreage giving us enough land to cut and bale our own hay. No more buying it! Woohoo! I give up a lot for my family. My kids are #1 and then my animals. I have never been one to buy shoes or clothes. Even if I had a Load of money my critters would have much nicer barns and fencing and anything else I could think of for them because their life being more content makes my life better. If they are happy I am happy. And if momma is happy everybody is happy!

Samantha

"5 minutes of fresh air is equivalent to 5 mg Valium"

7. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Sacrifice? Huh? I've given up money, time, energy, socialization opportunities, hours of sleep, and even more hours of intense thought and planning - but sacrifice? Nope! :D I think when you really love someone (even if it's a furry or feathered someone), the word sacrifice gradually merges with the word love...Some people may say I've sacrificed, and in a way they're right, but I don't call it that. Just my philosophy, but I live by it. :) Like the poem in my signature.

Lottsagoats, I bet you're healthier and happier than any millionaire on vacation! Real whole foods straight from God's hand, hard work, and bright-eyed animals...how much better can it get? :)

8. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    I may sacrifice all for my goats (and horses, dogs, chickens and cat) but let me say this..

when I was in my early mid 20's, I was told by my doc that I would be in a wheelchair by the time i was in my mid 30's (Rheumatoid arthritis). I am almost 60 and still on my own 2 feet. Why? Because of the animals. No matter the weather or how much pain I am in, I have to get up and care for them. 5 feet of snow? out I go. Pouring rain? Yup, sloshing all the way. Bitter cold? Bundle and do chores. Hot and humid? Yup, more of the same. Between the constant work and the raw goat milk, I am still upright and mobile.

I am an extreme introvert. My animals give me an excuse to not go to parties and such. They keep me happy and grounded. I have to deal with people at work. When I come home i am a mess. My critters help me regain myself.

Sacrifice? Sure, they get the best I can afford while i get the dregs but I owe them that.

9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Here Here Lotts of goats...clean living makes a huge difference...all my siblings, my mother and several aunts and uncles on my mother side all have some form of RA...so...you think I would too?? good clean living...home grown/raised food and hard work!!..I too am Up right!!...

10. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Wow most of you have given up way more then me. I guess there are times my friends are hanging out and I have to come home to do chores or wait for a doe to kid. But I still take trips and do the things I want. I just plan vacations around kidding times. Since I don't know when my does are due my next vacation is on hold. But I just hire people to do chore while I am gone which means I need to budget more money then a simple trip costs but its worth it to get away from my everyday life. I live in northern Indiana and even tho we have a ton of lakes that I like to go to, I really love the ocean and a nice beach. I really need a new destination Florida is starting to get old.

11. TXSaanenLover

TXSaanenLover New Member

Apr 6, 2014
    So far, it's just been those "throw some clothes in a suitcase at a moment's notice" kind of trips that we used to do all the time. Now, I'm looking for 4-H'ers and Ag students so I can make a "come feed my animals while I'm gone list". :)

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum

12. KathleenElsie

KathleenElsie New Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Sanity is overrated. My goats are good at reminding me that I lost my mind, never to regain it again.

13. Deschutes Dawn

Deschutes Dawn deschutes dawn

Sep 23, 2013
    Bend OR
    Time, friends, family. All the people in my life know I would much rather be with the animals. I'm working 2 part time jobs to help pay for hay and I'm always battling ridicule from my husband and working around his ultimatums about selling all the animals. I just told him if the animals go then he could pay for my therapist! I wouldn't have it any other way. He was raised in the city so doesn't understand a love for the rewards of good honest hard work.

14. mayia97420

mayia97420 Member

Apr 22, 2014
    While some of my friends and family may feel like I have "sacrificed" for my animals, I don't feel that way at all - I enjoy my "zen" time in the morning milking my girls. I get the greatest thrill watching them kid. - watching the kids grow and change - I have a wonder back in my life that I have missed since my own children were small- Each of my animals is precious to me in a different way- My 2 hens like to watch me milk and be petted. At this time all my animals get along together and I would have to get rid of one that didn't. - I am making soap and cheese which are both new to me. I get more from my goats than I give. Yes I cant always go to an event, party, or get new clothes every month but I don't really miss those things. I am much more content now.

15. uglywon

uglywon Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I truly am blessed as I feel my goats have only added to my life. They are my children. I am fortunate to have a great paying job that I am able to spoil my 7 goats, 4 dogs, chickens, and turkey's. I am relaxing on the beach now watching the sun come up and missing them all. It's pretty but no rooster crowing. :-(. I am also very fortunate to have wonderful neighbors to look after our farm. And I enjoy taking care of theirs when they travel. I am most fortunate to have my wife who allows me to support my goat problem. :).

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

16. bethm

bethm BethM

Aug 27, 2014
    Rwanda
    I'm happy I found this website/forum -I like reading your replies to this thread. I feel all alone here (Rwanda) in my love for my goats... people here can't understand why I'd want to keep them as pets or spend extra money to give them a safe, comfortable, and happy life. I get that goats and many other animals are a tremendous food/income source worldwide -especially here in Africa -and that's fine, but why fault a person for actually loving them and passing up a small profit for the joy of connecting with another of G-d's creatures?

Even to the folks who are breeding goats for meat -I respect those who take the time and care to treat their goats well and kill them more humanely (motivated by compassion first and profit second), so the animals can at least be happier during their short time here. Of course, animals are so cute that I wish we never ate them, but I also eat meat in small quantities. So, this is our present reality, and I don't want to be a hypocrite. The least we could do, however, is show the greatest respect and appreciation for the lives we take and give them as much comfort as possible.

I also like that everyone here is so helpful and willing to share good ideas, best practices, and answer any question. Thank you!

17. Chadwick

Chadwick New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Volant PA
    You can also buy calcium chloride from a pool supply house to refil the damp rid for much less $ that is all it is calcium chloride! But the container they make is the trick...allows the water to drain out of the chemical.....

18. Mcclan3

Mcclan3 ADGA and AGS member, breeding Nigerian Dwarf goats

Feb 13, 2014
    Gulf Coast Texas
    Thanks Chadwick!

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    RPC - I do the same (hope you read my post)

Since Florida is getting old if you like beach but want to try somewhere new try OBX (the outer banks in North Carolina)

20. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Oh there's an idea and some place new sounds good. Thanks for the idea.