What is the cost of your milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Feira426, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    How much do you pay per month for hay, feed, minerals, medicines, etc. for each of your goats (on average), and how much milk do you get? Or in other words, what is the cost of your homegrown milk?

Seems like the cost of hay in my area is maybe a bit high. Didn’t realize until I saw some of your comments on hay prices. It’s $11 for a small bale of coastal here and $22 for a three string bale of alfalfa hay. My homegrown milk is a good bit more expensive than I thought it would be!

Debra P likes this.
  2. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Where are you getting 3 string alfalfa for $22? I'm paying $30.

Debra P and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How much do these bales weighs? Two string 40 pounds and three string 80 lbs?

Debra P likes this.
  4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Yes about that weight for me.Good Hay is scarce in Texas right now, my alfalfa is coming from AZ and CA.

Debra P and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.
  5. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Russell Feed in Crowley.

Debra P and GoofyGoat like this.
  6. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    I’d guess that’s about right. Never tried to weigh them, though, honestly.

Debra P likes this.
  7. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Well, I don't milk yet this coming spring will be my first year, but my hay is a lot cheaper as it is grown locally. Lol, the hay I get is grown on my uncle's farm, which my family also lives on, so much much cheaper. But in general, hay here is a lot cheaper. For us $4 for a small square is expensive and that is what hay is around here now though for us these prices are way up.

8. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    That seems really good! I can get local round bales for $85. I don’t think I’ve seen regular small bales from the local pastures.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  9. So in one month, for 11 goats currently, we go through:

500lbs alfalfa pellets - $117
    200lbs chaffhaye - $58
    100lbs oats - $18
    10lb BOSS - $5
    1 round bale hay - $55
    Vita-Ferm Concept Aid minerals - $36/50# (this varies, currently they're going through 1 bag at about 2 months. BUT in the last month of pregnancy, we blow through a bag a month easily.

I don't add supplements or meds because that varies GREATLY. I don't give any supplements unless needed.

So total feed for one month: $271 (counting half bag of minerals currently)
    11 goats so each is $24.63 to feed a month.
    In December we got 37.5 gallons of milk. But, that was with one doe only counting half a month as she freshened Dec 11. I also had one doe drop her milk down for a week as she had gotten slight acidosis but shes back up right now. I anticipate January to have much more than that. Then we freshen 3 more in Match so we will have quite a bit more.

SO if I only count 3 does in milk currently I'm spending $73.89 on them and got 37.5 gallons...that's $1.97 gallon. But if I use my whole monthly expense of $271 each gallon for Dec cost $7.22. But this month I'm anticipating a minimum of 55 gallons so that drops it to under $5.

It's going to vary quite a bit month to month. As you'll have varying amounts of milk each month (depending on how they milk) different supplement needs, different feed needs. In the spring we have lots of forage so our feed will go down a bit. We will also have 6 does in milk, anticipating 1/2 - 1 gallon for each per day. So during spring/summer, our costs will be lower. I'm keeping detailed records this year as at the end of the year I want to see what our total was for all milk vs expenses produced.

Feira426 likes this.
  10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    mines coming from new mexico. it does all year round

lucky! i get rounds for cattle for 100 dollars a peice

Iluvlilly! and GoofyGoat like this.
  11. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I’m paying $11 for roughly 100#, it’s from my parents so I’m getting a good deal. At the feed store sometimes it’s about the same weight sometimes less and right now it’s $17.50.
    I’ll go off of what I’m paying at the peak of feeding
    Hay- 13.75 per goat per month
    Protein tub-1.17
    Vaccines comes out to 0.40 a month
    Grain I really don’t feed the does grain but I do the kids, so I’ll leave that out.
    Straw it depends how wet the winter is so I have no idea how to figure that out.
    Minerals is about 0.30
    Copper bolus 0.23
    So that comes out to 15.83 per goat per month when I’m having to feed the most hay and they are sucking down their protein tubs.
    I don’t milk so I can’t help you there, but when doing your figures, even though it sounds like your main reason in goats is milk, you also get sales off of kids too.

Feira426 likes this.
  12. How do you figure minerals price per goat?

I agree about kids sales. That's why it's easier for me to just keep track of everything and at the end of the year figure out my costs. Since it does vary month to month. We also plan to sell soap this year and milk for pet/craft use. So all of this will factor in.

Feira426 likes this.
  13. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yeah that’s how I do it too. It’s easier to get all my yearly expenses together and then divide by the number of goats I have. But even that isn’t totally accurate. Last year I started with 70 does and 1 buck, ended with 44 and 4 bucks. But it’s close enough.
    The minerals i just bought another 50# bag after 2 months. So the amount the bag is divided by the number of head then divide again by 2. Defiantly not 100% accurate since I’m not including the kids picking around in it and the fact that when the does are bred they really suck down the minerals but close enough for a figure ;)

14. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    my milk costs $1,000 a gallon. Seriously though, its expensive. lol My hay is $50 for a 80 pound bale. $20 for 40# of alfalfa pellets.

Feira426 likes this.
  15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Dayna, that's as bad as the "free" venison the neighbor got. After the hunting license, new shotgun, scope, (can't use an old one) ammo, clothing, scent kill, etc. it worked out to about $16 a pound!
    (If we throw in his new truck to get to W.Va. Is about $561 a lb!)

16. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Oh goodness!! That’s really high. Where are you located?

17. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    Hawaii

Feira426 likes this.
  18. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Wow!! I’ve wanted to visit Hawaii since I was a little kid. Do you like living there?

Usually I can see everyone’s locations but I guess the mobile version of the site leaves some stuff out.

19. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    I love living here. It has its challenges just like any other place. But I find it to be an amazing place to live. Funny thing, people always equate Hawaii with the beach. I go to the beach, in boots, about once a year. haha I just like to walk on the rocks and hear the waves crashing. My island is more agricultural than the other islands. :)

Feira426 likes this.
  20. momto6ls

momto6ls Active Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Central Utah
    I am horrified by the prices I am seeing here. Our hay went from $7 to $9 (for 75# of 4th crop premium alfalfa) in the last year, and I was upset. I would have to give up goats at $30 a bale! My husband doesn’t think they are worth it now LOL. I have food issues, and don’t do regular dairy. My whole family drinks the milk, I make yogurt and cheese and sell the extra milk to family and a close friend. I also make a mineral supplement from the whey that would be extremely expensive for me to buy. (Capra Mineral Whey- about $60 for a canister) The supplement helps me keep my pain from arthritis at bay, so I take quite a bit. By selling extra milk, and kids in the summer, I figure we provide a lot of what we consume at no cost.

We’ve had some bad luck - I sold 2 does that were expecting, with a written contract of $450. She was to pay $50 every two weeks. That was in May. I have received 2 payments totaling $120, after incessant nagging. That was our money for hay... so we really had to scrape to get our supply for the year.

from my perspective, the goats are a huge blessing. From my husband’s, they are an expense. But we could not afford to buy what we consume, so I’ll keep pushing to keep my girls.

GoofyGoat likes this.