What is the cost of your milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Feira426, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

If you have a written contract... go to small claims court. You can do it without a lawyer.

And dang! $9 for that size bale of alfalfa. I would be crazy happy!

Debra P and GoofyGoat like this.
  2. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'd kill for $9.00 a bale alfalfa! @Sfgwife is right you can take her to court or go get your goats back and resell them.

Debra P and Sfgwife like this.

3. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Hahha me too me too! It is usually $20ish a #60-70 bale here.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  4. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Jubillee, I have been looking for information on selling milk for crafts - I want to know if there are any licensing requirements for it in TX - but I can't find anything about it. Every hit I get is about selling milk for human consumption. Usually I'm good at wording my Google searches and finding what I need in just a couple of tries, but in this case I must have looked at fifty sites and still haven't found an answer. Do you have any info?

MidnightRavenFarm likes this.
  5. A friend asked the licensing office about craft use and there is nothing about it. They have a license for pet use and then a full dairy.

Feira426 likes this.
  6. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    That's great to know! I had a heck of a time finding anything about it online.

7. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Hmmm, I am terrible at figuring all this stuff out. However, after much wrangling of my calculator I have realized that each gallon of delicious goat milk costs close to $87,000. Maybe I should charge more than my current fee of $8....

yankeedoodle, Sfgwife and Feira426 like this.
  8. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Hahaha!

groovyoldlady likes this.
  9. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Ain’t THAT the truth!

groovyoldlady likes this.
  10. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    Hmmmm . . . Well, I do a lot of trades and we grow our own hay.

It costs us about $45/ton for our hay including fertilizer and fuel for harvest. The goat get fed hay for about 5 months of lactation. The 4 milkers go through a bale every other day at $1.12 per bale. I feed alfalfa pellets rather than deal with the wasted stems my brats won’t eat. We go through about 75 pounds a week so $15. Just over 50 pounds of grain, $11. Half a bag of beet pulp, $7. Minerals at about $4
    I trade a finished pig worth about $600 for a 3 or 4 ton totes of triticale seed every year and then feed fermented triticale for the bulk of my grain. That works out to .10/pound.

So cash out of pocket is $45 weekly for 4 Alpine does. 3 are senior does and we milk share so get a little over a gallon and a half (they average 10 to 12 pounds of milk daily while raising their own kids) and the FF does about a gallon.

I’ll go with the low end of production and the high end of feed and say 42 gallons per week. So $1.07 per gallon.

I make cheese, yogurt, soap, raise pigs on milk, and drinking milk then sell all our extra milk at $5/gallon pet food only. Plus selling registered kids.

My dairy girls paid for themselves as well as my 15 other goats, my cows, my weaner pigs, and had enough left over for me to buy a couple more goats this past year

Iluvlilly!, GoofyGoat and KNemitzfarm like this.
  11. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Ha Ha! At least you guys are getting milk! I just started! So I've thrown in $800-$900 already in under 5 months. 3 doelings, fencing , feed, hay, very basic meds, a vet trip, and a lot of complaints from my mom about loose goats: and I don't get any milk till spring at the earliest!
    Haven't even started on possible costs for the goat barn: my dad is very handy, he threw together a temporary pallet shed for them... hoping to start the permanent pasture and mini barn this year! Haven't gotten any minerals for them yet either... I feel so bad... the only place around that I can find sweetlix at is having a hard time keeping it in the store.
    I can't wait till they can give a little back!!! but I love them so much! Wouldn't give them up for the world! ( Luckily I just got a job or my wallet would tell me differently! (rofl))

Anyway, I don't get alfalfa hay Just local hay and some alfalfa pellets. It has gone from $3 a bale to $4.50, but still nothing compared to what you guys have! Wow! I can't imagine... My 3 doelings go through about 4 bales a month. They just started nibbling the alfalfa pellets, so those will last a while.

PS... I wish I could save money by producing milk for my family... but some of them (theres 6 of us) are VERY fond of cows milk... Ill try my hardest to convert them!

Goataddict, MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    yep, that's how it works! Goats aren't cheap, and you most likely won't get enough milk for 6 people from FF doelings.

Goataddict, MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  13. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Thats alright. Its a start :)

Jubillee and MadHouse like this.
  14. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    Wow, we pay $5 a bale.. where do you live?

Iluvlilly! and Kass like this.
  15. Ehhhhh...what kind of goats do you have? My FFs gave/give about a half-gallon each but they are Nubians. So 3...a gallon and a half a day isn't bad. We have 8 people in our house. It's not ideal for making a lot of extras (cheese, yogurt, ice cream etc) unless you don't drink a lot, but it would be fine for drinking. However, if it's Nigerians, probably not lol. Mad props to Nigerian milkers, cause I despise milking them, even the one with the better teats LOL.

16. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I have a Nigerian Dwarf, a Nigerian/Saanen and a Nubian. Once we get all set up and we see how much milk we are getting we may look for an Alpine or Lamancha in milk to add to our herd.

17. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

For orchard grass hay, we are paying $4 for a roughly 40lb bale. About $30 for 16lbs of Sweetlix minerals, which lasts about two months with three does and one whether. About $15 for a 50lb bag of Purina Goat Chow, which lasts about 4-5 weeks. :)

Kass and Iluvlilly! like this.
  18. momto6ls

momto6ls Active Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Central Utah
    Update:
    I’ve been keeping a new budget for the last year, and our milk is FREE... well actually a lot of WORK. LOL

I kept the money from Selling milk separately in my budget. Any time I spent money on my girls it came out of there. We just finished kidding and have 3 doelings and a buckling. We’ll sell them and that will be the majority of our hay for the year. I still have $100 in the goat account, everyone is healthy after kidding (hallelujah!), and we will be selling milk again soon. That makes me feel really good. Even with the loss of those does (contract to buy broken - you can’t get blood from a turnip :ahh:), we still came out ahead for the year! So all the milk we drink, yogurt and cheese we make is just the cost of time for care. My kids do the milking. My husband does the supervising. I just enjoy the goats!:coolmoves:

19. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Something to consider is how efficient your goats are at converting food into milk. You might have 1 doe that gives a gallon on a couple pounds of feed and 3-4 flakes of hay a day, and another that can't do that. Right now, I have 1 doe that's milking a gallon a day on about 3 lbs. of feed and 1 lb. Alfalfa pellets/day, plus about 3 flakes alfalfa/grass mix hay when she's dry lotted, or about 1 flake when she's out in the woods browsing during the day. That's about $1.04 in feed, and about $0.10 in hay (my hay is really cheap compared to some of ya'll!) Another doe isn't giving that much, though she receives the same amount of feed and hay, but as she's a young first-freshener, I will give her time to build up to a higher level of production. I don't expect to make much, if any, money off of her this year, but since she's a nice looking doe with a good udder, I think she will make me some money over time, and I plan to keep her daughters.
    I have been keeping very careful records of expenses and income, and will add everything up at the end of the year to make sure that I'm not spending more than I think I am. I have expenses divided into recurring and one-time expenses. The recurring are things like feed, hay, minerals, dewormer, copper bolus, probiotics, and for the milkers, any milking supplies I use regularly like milk filters, dish soap to wash the milk pail, bleach....and the one-time expenses are things like fencing, barn repairs, feed tubs, vet bills, new goats I've bought... I averaged the one-time expenses that I've incurred over the last few years, and came up with a yearly one-time expense 'allowance' for each goat, in addition to the recurring expenses. Again, I will have to revisit all of those numbers and adjust if necessary. This is my first year actually trying to make the goats pay for themselves. So I will know more once I've been doing this for longer.
    I am currently making money from the milk & kid sales. I'll never be rich, but I love my goats, so as long as I can make a little bit off of them, I will be happy!
    It takes some extra effort to track all of the money you shell out here and there, and all of the dollars coming in (or dollars you can count as income since you're consuming your own milk products instead of buying them), but I think that's the only way to calculate the actual cost of your goats.

Kass and CaramelKittey like this.