The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
That looks like an abscess. I would be watching for when it bursts. When it does, take some of the pus and have it sent off for testing for CL.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Yikes, looks like an abcess. Could be CL, have you tested for that? Might be a bug bite though; how long has it been there? Is it hard or soft? Is it hot?

·
Registered
30,574 Posts
Def. not ring worm...but not a common CL location either...could be she has a thorn abcess...If its soft in the center I would put her in a pen to herself..a vet can lance it and clean it out for you and have the puss tested for CL...

http://goat-link.com/content/view/101/96/#.UdnjXj6DTL8

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It's not ringworm. It looks like an abscess, but that is not a CL area. If it were about 2" in front of where it is, I would be concerned about CL, though. Are your fences wood, or does she have access to pasture and trees? I'm thinking she may have picked up a splinter, sticker, or thorn. A lot of times they will abscess. If you're concerned about CL, call the vet when it starts losing the hair and have it lanced, cleaned, and tested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is soft and it appears other goats have this as well just not as noticeable. I did give them all c&d tetanus shot about a week ago. Just trying to do good for goats to make sure healthy enough for 4h showing in August.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
If you gave CD&T shots in that location, then it could be an injection site abscess. Do you change needles between goats or re-use them? Since you show your goats, you may want to consider future vaccinations in the armpit of the front leg so it doesn't show. A lot of vaccinations cause a knot.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It is soft and it appears other goats have this as well just not as noticeable. I did give them all c&d tetanus shot about a week ago. Just trying to do good for goats to make sure healthy enough for 4h showing in August.
Is the bump where you gave the shot? Sometimes you will get an abscess at the injection site.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Yeah, you probably want to rethink the practice of re-using needles. For one thing, it can introduce contamination at the injection site, for another thing it can spread illness and disease from animal to animal, and 3rd a new needle is sharper and works better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We did use same needle I gave shot right under skin.. This is how I have done it in the past. And it was in about that location. I can not remember if she is the one whom jerked away bending needle.

·
Registered
30,574 Posts
Most likely then that is what you have, what my kids call a shot spot...if you apply a hot rag to try to bring it to a head see if you cant clean it out, you can shave some of the hair off to get a better look..I would still do this in a easy to clean location..like the drive way or patio.best wishes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts