What is this noise?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dvfreelancer, Feb 7, 2010.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Our bottle baby is going on 7 weeks now. Everything seemed to be going well, until tonight. Pea gets her bottle and some sweet feed, like usual. No problems. Appetite is good, she put down a bottle and a half, did her usual routine of trying to jump up on the kitchen counter, had a handful of sweet feed pellets. Poop looks normal, things are moving through the hopper. Energy level is fine.

But she sounds terrible. She's making this noise like someone strangling a cat. It's horrible to listen to. What could be wrong? It almost sounds like her voice is changing. Do goats go through that like human kids? Her horns are just starting to come in, could that be causing her distress?

Her belly is a little distended. Can they get bloat like cattle? What do you give them for that?

If there's something wrong it's got me beat. She looks like a normal, healthy little baby. When her step-brother got ill, he was obviously sick. His poop was terrible, he wouldn't eat, energy level in the basement. I've seen sick animals, they don't look like Pea. She's still down there crying, tough to listen to.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats odd -- is her belly very tight? you can give her some baking soda balls just in case it is bloat.

is she just acting lonely? have you tried letting her out again to see if it stops?

3. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Soon as I let her out she's fine. It might be lonely. She has company out in the pasture all day and this am she was playing king of the hill with the other babies.

Her belly is full but it doesn't look abnormally distended. I let her out and she starts exploring the house. That's why it seems so strange. Other than that noise, her behavior and external signs are all normal.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she is probably developing her more mature voice and with her screaming for you to play with her its causing the crazy scream sound.

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I have one doe with a highly annoying voice, indeed it sounds like a cat being murdered. I have a friend who has a doe like this too. Maybe this is just her voice

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Some goats...just like some people...have very ugly and/or annoying voices. One of my goats sounds like a sick donkey or like some strange prehistoric bird...very strange, but perfectly normal for him.

If she does not seem to be in distress then the sounds she is making are probably no cause for concern. It could be her voice changing or she could have gone hoarse from crying for you...

7. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    She was just fine this am, though her voice was still messed up. Reminds of the Ringwraiths in Lord of the Rings. I'll have to see if one of the others has the Ring of Doom. I need it to complete my set. :wink:

If she's sick it's not hurting her appetite. She came bounding out of the laundry room and pounded down a bottle and a half this morning and cleaned up the sweet feed in her bowl. That's usually a good indicator. If they're eating, they'll get better.

My first thought was her voice was changing but I wasn't sure that happened in goats. She's pretty demanding, that's her daddy's personality coming out, so being hoarse or strained from hollering is definitely possible.

She's getting big. Her days sleeping in the laundry room are numbered. It's almost time she gets used to living outside.

8. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Here she is, out with the team this am. Enjoying her morning hay.

And here's a picture of our house. It's sort of unique. A steel barn with 1,750 sq feet of living space and the rest is all garage. It's the most unusual house I've lived in and I tend to have a taste for the bizarre and unusual.

Going to miss that garage, but not the area.

But I will miss the garage. Right now we park an RV, 2 cars, a riding lawn mower, brush cutter, tow dolly, a full bar, a full set of kitchen counters and sinks, my welding gear and a video green screen with room to spare. 14 foot pull through doors and a 16 foot on an automatic opener. When it's empty, you can drive around in it with a small car.

Best garage ev-ar.

Attached Files: