The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what this plant is?
My goats will not eat it but eat everything else, grass, shrubs, etc. now this plant is growing like crazy in certain areas. I pulled out a bunch by hand but it's grows quicker than I can pull.
It grows yellow flowers too and bean like seeds.

If anyone knows what it is. Any tips on getting rid of it.
IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I don't know what it is, but with most plants, if you keep it cut back, it eventually can't keep going. You definitely want to cut it back before the flower stage, so they don't become pollinated. The plant would have expended much of it's energy by then.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
That Plantsnap app identified it as a type of senna. The app was unsure of which one and gave me multiple choices. I think the app did pretty good with a downloaded photo.
@SandyNubians , my first thought was locust too.lol

Edit: wikipedia says between 260 and 350 species of senna.

Reactions: SandyNubians

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Never heard of that before. Interesting. I decided to download that app as well. Did pretty dang good! Got 7 out of 10 plants/trees right. Didn't get pear, crab apple, or cherry right, but hit it right on the money with the others. Even got my golden current right which I really didn't think it would!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I am postponing, a little, my outside chores. Already 88*, fed animals earlier, no chores done, HOT!
Will play with app in the garden.

Edit: app got 8 out 9 right. It sort of got okra the second try. Wanted it to be a "mallow" of some kind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a better pic if anyone wants to try it an tell me. I have an older iPhone an the app didn't work for me.
IMG_3268.jpg

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Here is a better pic if anyone wants to try it an tell me. I have an older iPhone an the app didn't work for me. View attachment 158033
I will have to wait until tomorrow, the fee version only gives you 10 identidies per day. The senna did not match, on wikipedia?

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dwarf... your right. It is seena... the more I read the more I was convinced you were right. It said it was a laxative...hence the goats won't eat it. And it said ants like to live in the roots which is very true from the plants I see.
Guess now I have to read up an see what can kill this plant. It's taking over one of my grazing areas.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
It looks like you have your work cut out for you.lol Cutting back below leaves continuously is best.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Hi, nice to see you! :) My first thought was "If the goats do not eat it, it is probably not good for them!" Now we know why. For cutting down, I hope you have got purposive tools, for this work seems to be a big one! If the plant is annual, take care that no more seeds land in the soil. If it is perennial, do try to kill the roots as well. Maybe learn from our goats? Ring bark!! (This word is not in the dictionary, ask if you need!)

(I know there are plants that are good for goats, which do cover and "choke" other plants, but this might be a bit risky, then these new species might take over ... And goats do like variation in the feed.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts