What is this stuff....milk?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Shantarskiye, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    We have a friend whose goat just kidded and is not giving milk, but this clear, yellow-ish, thick stuff. What is it? I have a goat who is giving that on one side and good ole’ milk on the other side. :?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    A newly freshened doe has an udder full of colostrum...it is important for newborns that this is their food for the first 24 hours, it is full of antibodies to protect them in the outside world.
    The true milk does not come in for at minimum 3 days, but the colostrum is still there til a week later.
    How long has it been since your doe freshened? If she has true milk on one side and not the other it indicates that she's kidded a single recently that has not used the "other" teat....or she has started to dry up on the one side or even mastitis.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Goats do give colostrum before milk, but it shouldnt be clear or thick. It basically looks like milk but a little more yellow in color. Sometimes a little thicker and sticky but never thick. If its heavy and hard to get out you may want to see if she has mastitis, does can carry it over from year to year and freshen with it if not treated right. For you doe that is thick and yellow on one side and milk on the other i would definatly test for mastitis.
    beth

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    one doe last year freshend (fb boer) with the thickest colostum i've ever seen...but no mastitus...but it wouldnt hurt to make sure!

5. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    It's not colostrum though, I've seen colostrum before. The doe with it on one side gave regular milk before. And the doe that freshened never came into regular milk. :? :shrug:

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Definatly have her tested for mastitis.
    beth

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    It is simple to do -- get the test strips from TSC and do a test -- then get some Today and treat both goats

8. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
  9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I'd be interested to see your findings, I have bveen doing A LOT of research on mastitis lately.
    beth