What is this? **Update**

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by shadycreekgoats, Aug 8, 2009.

1. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    My buckling who was born 3-7-09, he keeps it half-way often and it is has 'tears'. What could it be?

This is his 'good' eye.
    [​IMG]

This is his 'bad' eye.
    [​IMG]

You can see him half closing the other eye.
    [​IMG]

I took these pictures when he was lying down. When he is walking around he has it opened half-way. What is it? :shrug: Any advise would be great... :hug:

Oh, heres one more pic..
    [​IMG]

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Re: What is this?

have you checked to make sure there is nothing in the eye? You need to hold the eyelids open, and have a really good look all the way around the eye, in all the corners etc. Dont be afraid to roll the eye round (you can sort of manipulate it by moving the eyelids), you wont hurt him. Often they will get a grass seed etc in the eye - you need to pull it out (make sure you get all the bits) and then put some pinkeye ointment/powder/spray in the eye. You might see a blue cloudy area, or a bright pink/white area, or both, with or without a foreign object. Even if there isnt a foreign object I would put the pink eye treatment in and see if it improves

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

It does seem that he has something in his eye...I would do as Keren suggested and maybe even a simple saline flush would help.

4. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

I'd definitely treat for pink eye -- do you have ointment?

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

Yeah, he could have injured it, could have something in it, or he could have pink eye. I think one of the first two is most likely, but it would not hurt to treat his eye with antibiotics as a precaution. Love his hair-do, by the way :)

6. Re: What is this?

I would flush and if that does not help treat for pink eye. Let us know how it goes.

7. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon

Warm compresses would be helpful too, for drawing infection if it's in there..
    By the way he is way CUTE!!!

8. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN

i would also treat. you can get terramycin ontment at walmart & just put some in his eye.

9. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois

Thank you, Keren!! I did look in his eye and I found a few little pieces of hay in there.

Yes, I'm going to do a Saline flush today.

When I clipped him, he wouldn't let me do his face....I love it too... :slapfloor:

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!! :)

Thank you!! I just LOVE him. :love:

I'm going to see if the Saline works, and if not I will try terramycin.

Thank you all so much!!! :grouphug:

btw, I'll let you know how it goes!! :)

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

sounds good! :thumb:

most of the time the saline works just fine, sometimes I even just pull the foreign object out and let them go and they clear up okay

but since I have the pink eye powder on hand, I like to give it as a precaution, to ward off secondary infections

11. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois

Well, I did I Saline Flush yesterday, and it looked great!! But today it looks as thought it is pink eye...I don't know what to put on it and where to get it. Any advice? Thank you all so much!!! :)

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

terramycin on the eye, took 2-3 weeks to heal my buck, who had it in both eyes, but its all better now. also you need to wear gloves, because its infectious, and wash away the 'tears' with listerine, but do not get that in the eye!

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

just look for pink eye powder, ointment, spray or whatever at your local feed store or TSC ... it will be for cattle most likely.

:thumb:

14. Re: What is this?

Very good point, this is what we did along with the flushes when I got my fisrt two and they were so bad. Olivia's eye was solid white I thought she would never see again.

15. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

How much terramycin goes in the eye? I forgot the dosage. :oops:

16. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois

I forgot too..... :oops: ...my Mom is picking it up tonight...I'm going to put it in tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

no set dosage, just fill the eye up really good with powder or ointment ...

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I have used wet tea bags on the eye also. Get them good and wet and hold them to his if (If that is possible) for like10 minutes. I think he really is to big to do this unless he will just stand there.

19. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois

Well, I got the terramycin yesterday, but when I went out to put it on today, his eye looked great! So, I did one more Saline flush, and I'm, going to watch him. I'll keep you all updated!! :) Thank you all for the advice! :hug:

20. shadycreekgoats

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois

Sorry I never gave you all an update!! :oops:

It took about 2-3 wks and his eyes looked soo much better. :greengrin: Thank you all for the advice!!! :grouphug: