The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second post and both are in the health area. I am having all this trouble since adding two new girls to my group. They come from a lady that vaccinates, worms and tests for all the biggies. So I notice one of the girls have this going on... She has been getting antibiotics, but not getting better. There is another sore on her tail and some crustiness. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

image-3740173071.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
If you have a knowledgeable goat vet, she needs to be seen by him or her. I have only seen swollen like that after birthing.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Is your other post Pos. Staph?? I remember a bootie shot of a pretty yucky case of it a few days ago?? Could be the same thing going on here...
Does she have a temperature? what Antibiotics were you using?
Might be a good time to bring in a vet since you have more than one case, there are differtn strains of staph and its a good idea to know what you are dealing with..
..but in the mean time
Try keeping the area clean and dry (as much as possible) I would wash with a weak water/white vinegar solution (maybe 1/2 cup vinegar to a gallon of water) if you find sores like a blisters you can use iodine. Dont pop the blister or it could spread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did send a picture to the vet and he wants to see her. He is thinking venereal disease??? What in the world? I just got this girl and her sister. Should I worry that she is contaminating the rest of my herd (only have five total right now)?

Happy- the other health concern was due to unfamiliarity on giving injections/limping doe.
I will clean the area. Now I'm worried this doe and her sister are contaminating my two other healthy doelings

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I hope the vet will be able to clear things up for her. If you can you might want to separate the girls from the rest right now until you know more.

Ok I remember the other post ;) thought it was the staph.

Let us know what the vet says when he sees her. Best wishes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy-what venereal diseases do goats get? Do you know of them? And of these can they completely ruin there breeding potential?

I am new to this goat stuff so don't know how goat STDs work, but I don't want to spread around goat gonosyphaherpelaids or anything. :)

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Honestly I don't know. I have never heard of goat getting std's . It will be interesting to hear what the vet says. I'm not home or I would do a bit of reading lol... I would take precautions just the same until I knew more. :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'd get her in and get her cultured stat. Its super easy to do and will tell you if shes got an infection or not. My doe got pasteurella uterine infection at the breeders last winter. Its rare in goats in their reproductive tract, but common in rabbits, and almost always causes sterility in rabbits (in one or both horns) but luckily my doe still took, and delivered healthy triplets, so I am ever more convinced that life just has a way, its what nature wants! I wouldnt be worrying about her being sterile or not until you know what you are dealing with.

·
2,203 Posts
Almost looks like a vaginal infection...staph, yeast, chlamydia come to mind. I would have the vet swab and culture her mucous. In the meantime applying raw sugar and vitamin E mixture (or soak) or prep H will help with the swelling.

·
1,524 Posts
Mycoplasma and Chlamydia are two goat STD's but you can pick up other infections (staph, ecoli etc) that live in the vulva/vagina.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the suggestions! My first impulse was to send her back where I bought her, but now I'm too curious to see what this is. The vet can't get out here until Wednesday :( -so I will treat her with some of the suggestions because I hate seeing her uncomfortable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yea. One more question...I know the general suggestion is to separate new does for 30 days. Well I didn't do that. Also, I know I should separate the sick one at least, but is it too late? I mean she has been eating and drinking with everyone for over a week. She has also been with her sister her whole life and she is healthy enough. Not sure what to do, but need to figure it out because I'm picking up another doe today.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Its always a good idea to keep new goats seperate until testing is complete if you do CAE/CL testing...also at least 30 days to see if anything developes such as pink eye, soremouth ect, the stress from a move lowers the immune system and anything the goat may have been exposed to but not effected, could pop its ugly head under the stress, Also worming them during this stresser is important, again the stress opens the door for the worms to take over their host. If you have the space, I would put her and her sister in their own pen for now until the vet gives the "OK". Even though she has been around the other goats, no need to further expose them if you dont need to. Hopefully this is a minor issue and can be cared for quickly and not be a problem for the other goats. For the New goat you are picking up today she too will need her own pen if you have the space for the same reason...Plus her immune system will be low, and if your doe with the problem is contagious, she will be prime target,,,,also I would worm her when you bring her home.
Best wishes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you! I will try to separate and worm everyone tomorrow. I am fortunate in that all these goats were from farms that test for cae and cl. I will try to get them separate and clean everything out.

Question. I am full of them sorry. I have a microscope, is there anything I can culture or do to test/check her while I wait for the vet to come?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
No worries on how many questions you can ask :D we love question!!

You can do your own fecals...there are several good web sights to teach and show you different eggs...: )

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mjs- the vet is coming on Wednesday, I was curious to see if there was any cultures I could do just for fun while waiting. Just the science geek in me. It was just for fun to see if I could make an educated guess and see if I got it right. :)

Now her tutti has clear yellow tinged discharge (dripping) and forming yellow crust. I just want her better :(

·
2,203 Posts
Mjs- the vet is coming on Wednesday, I was curious to see if there was any cultures I could do just for fun while waiting. Just the science geek in me. It was just for fun to see if I could make an educated guess and see if I got it right. :)

Now her tutti has clear yellow tinged discharge (dripping) and forming yellow crust. I just want her better :(
Oh sorry! :) no harm intended. Science geek. You too?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts