What is this?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by badnewsboers, Mar 5, 2009.

1. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    My new doe had a bump on the end of her vulva. I am stumped to what it could be. I've heard of melanomas on goats but I have no clue what one would look like. Here's a picture I took.

[​IMG]

Any thought to what it could be?

Also she was exposed to a buck but the previous owner thought his young does were too young to come in heat. Well two of the other ones are forming udders. Does she look bred? She has no udder forming whatsoever.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    looks like a hemophorite :shrug:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It is a bit to blurry - is there a way to get a clear picture?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is a bit blurry... but I am agreeing with stacey...

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
  6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    What is a hemophorite?

ETA: OH

7. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I only had my camera phone today. I can take a picture with my camera next time I am out.

See this doe is very feminine. Does not act bucky at all.

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but I thought hermaphrodites are from polled to polled breedings. This is a young Boer doe.

8. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I've been looking at pictures and I'm not found a hermaphrodite that looks like what she has. They all seem to have odd shaped vulvas and the bump protrudes a lot. Her bump is even with her labia. I just don't know.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    hermies are more likely with polled to polled, but they can still pop up.

i would say get it checked out if you can. i know hermie's vaginas are shorter than normal girls

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with SDK.. :) ..have a vet check her out.....then you will know for sure... :wink:

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

How old is she? Do you have any head and body shots of her. When she goes pee does she pee like a normal doe or does she mess all over her back legs?
    beth

12. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    She is a June doe.

I can take some head and body shots. I've only had her since Monday so I don't have any right now.

She pees like a normal doe.

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hermaphrodites can be caused by many different things. When working in the vet clinic I worked on a set of 3 bordeaux mastiff pups. Come to find out when I went to prep one for surgery for an umbilical hernia - "she" was really an "it". It was a hermaphrodite. Yet, all the other litter mates were fine.

Sometimes it is a genetic defect - not caused by anything other then mother nature.

I would not jump to her being one yet, but I would try to get some more clearer pictures and possibly some blood work.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK she is a June baby? Have you ever noticed this before? Did it just show up? I have a hard time seeing it also because it is not a clear picture. (I do know how hard it is to get a good butt picture, if you are by yourself). I do not think they like us taking pictures of their Cha Cha. I have to say I do not blame them. :shrug:

15. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It doesn't look like a hermaphrodite to me. I've seen one and it didn't look much like that, I could be wrong though, I'm sure they aren't all exactly like the on I saw. I would probably just have a vet look at her, but it doesn't look like to much of a concern to me.

16. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    This is not a doe I bred myself. I just got her this week. The breeder hadn't noticed anything but his goats are wild and he can't spend much time with them because of work.

I do have some new pictures. Loading them now...

17. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I found out that my camera doesn't do closeup shots too well. Too close and it blurred up so bad you couldn't see anything. These were the best I could get.

18. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the doe in question.

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Hmmm. That is really strange. I'd be more apt to think it's a growth, melanoma (sp?) as you mentioned before. I just saw a goat at another breeder's the other day who had a growth on her rectum, looked something like that. It was a cancerous growth.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    because of the dark coloration ...it may very well be something ...that should be looked at ...by a vet ..... :( Then you will know for sure.....