What is this?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Maggie, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    I've seen a few buck kids with lumps on their necks. Is this normal? or what is it? I am attaching a couple pics so you can see what I am talking about.

Attached Files:

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have never seen this, but I went to the Fias Co web page and they have this about milk goiter and other lumps http://fiascofarm.com/goats/milk_neck.htm. At the bottom of the page is a link to photographs, they look a lot like your pictures. If these fit her description, it is probably milk goiter.

Jan

3. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I'm an education NUT - so I thought I'd post just a clip of info from Fiasco Farms to enlighten us all:
    (Previous post has the link to find multiple pics & more detailed info)

"There are a few health issues and/or diseases that can look quite similar:

Milk Neck - (can affect kids of all ages) If the swelling is soft, is located on the chin/throat, right where the chin and throat meet, and the goat is a kid. It is probably Milk Neck. The size of the swelling varies greatly, from barely noticeable, to quire large. It is soft. It is not a hard lump.

Bottle Jaw - If the swelling is further up on the chin, on the jaw, this could be "bottle jaw" which is a sign of severe parasite infestation. It is soft. It is not a hard lump. The goat needs to be wormed with a chemical wormer ASAP. If not treated right away, death could result. This usually happens in adults goats, not kids.

CL - If it is a hard lump, usually about the size of a quarter, and is located in the area of a lymph glad, it could be CL (Caseous Lymphadenitis) and you should consider having it looked at by a vet.

Vaccination Abscess - If it is a hard lump and is near a site that recently was the site of a vaccination injection, it could be a vaccination abscess- reaction to the injection. When we used to vaccinate, we had goats get abscesses at the injection site all the time. The bump will go away eventually, but may take up to a year to do so. It also may (or may not) come to a head and burst, but it is not contagious.

Insect Sting - If it is a small hard lump, it could be the result of an insect sting. "

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If they are still nursing from mom....it is milk goiter.... it will go away in time after weaned..... :wink:

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ditto what Pam said. When we had boers they always got the biggest milk goiters, it's nothing to worry about.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    agree, mine always get goiters from the milk. Boers!

7. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Thank you.
    I have another pic, that looked similar to me but in an older doe. This is just a random googled pic.
    What would this be?

Attached Files:

• head.jpg
      head.jpg
      File size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
  8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    that's a dewlap.

Boers can get them, just an extra flap of skin

[​IMG]

9. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Oh ok. Haha I feel dumb for asking now. I knew bucks had dewlaps, just didn't know does had them too!!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Never feel dumb ...about any question...you are here to learn and we are here to teach.... no question is ever dumb... :idea: .... I am very happy.... you are asking.... you will never know... until you do.....right... :wink: :thumb: :wink: