What is this??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Swamp Goat, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Swamp Goat

Swamp Goat New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I have an seven year old Alpine doe. This winter she has not been looking too great, as in, no matter how much she eats she still looks too thin. Three weeks ago she aborted two kids. Today, she has gone off her feed, has muscle spasms, is much thinner than before, is weak, you can see the veins in the iris of her eye, and she is crying. Her temp is 105 F and her heart beat is 116 beats per minute, and irregular. What we have tried so far is, a shot of antibiotic, yogurt, some extra calcium, and chemical wormer. She is usually wormed with an herbal wormer, and has a mineral block. What is going on? I can't figure it out for anything, and I hate to see her in such bad shape. Any thought at all as to what this is will be greatly appreciated, as I am desperate to try to figure this out. Thanks in advance.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Do you have vitamin B on hand? She probably needs thiamine. Also what antibiotic did you give?

3. Swamp Goat

Swamp Goat New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    The antibiotic is Duramycin. I do have some B-complex, I'll give that a try.

4. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Don't have any advice to give, but wanted to add my support. I hope you're able to pull her through!

5. Swamp Goat

Swamp Goat New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I searched Google for a while and I think it was Goat Polio. It was too late when I gave her the vitamin B. Thanks for the advice and support.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm so very sorry :hug:

7. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug: