What is this?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Missgoaty, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Missgoaty

Missgoaty New Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Hi, I'm not sure if this is important but this suspicious bump grow on her face a I'm not sure if its something for me to worry about.

Here are some photos IMG-20200221-WA0000.jpg IMG-20200221-WA0001.jpg

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would have a vet take a look at her.... looks like an infection -or maybe CL- and I also don't like the look of her lower jaw. Infection in the head is nothing to mess with.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Hard to say if it an active abcess or maybe already burst as I see a hole. But it's awful close to her eye. I would bring her to a vet. Is she a healthy weight? Neck looks a bit thin but may just be the photos.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a vet to look at her.

5. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    I agree something about the jaw isn't quite right. Never seen bottle jaw in person, but that's what came to mind.

It is not in quite the right place for a CL abscess (but it needs to be ruled out) so that's some consolation.
    There are several conditions that can cause an abscess on her cheek, and they are not scary like CL.

She looks very uncomfortable with that though. This is a case where a vet should be utilized, in my most humble "I like to do it all myself" opinion.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Tooth abscess is also something to consider. I'd have a vet look at her.

Sara+pumpkin likes this.