The Goat Spot Forum banner

What is this?

1K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
Sorry the pics aren't the best!

Ok doing chores tonight and I noticed little Violets eye is cloudy, draining and has some redness. the other eye looks fine. She has a normal temp, eating, playing like normal. Everyone else's eyes look normal no other symptoms from her or anyone else. She can see out of it from what I can tell.
Working animal Dog breed Carnivore Ear Eyelash
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Ear Gesture Finger Fawn Working animal
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hair Head Hand Eye Eyelash

See less See more
#8 ·
Look in the eye for any thing stuck in there. Hat, stickers ect.
Any scratches, ulcerations.

If you can't see anything foreign in there.

Put a few drops of LA200 directly in the eye, no needle.
2 x a day for 7 days.

The cloudiness may take longer to subside.

It may be pinkeye and very contagious to you and other goats.

#10 ·
If you can, put a couple drops LA-200 in 2 X a day for a week, if improvements occur, it will take awhile. They can see light and dark, and even movements, but you might notice she turns her head a certain way to actually see.

If others show watery eyes or redness, start treatment on them. Be sure and wash your hands after handling her before touching any other goat or yourself. Like what was posted, it is very contagious.

#12 ·
Just watch for weepy eyes, that is the first sign, if you see that, do LA200 drops in the eye.

It doesn't mean you have the aborting kind. However, I cannot say for sure.
Maybe get a vet involved.

Treat the one eye, I will put a few drops in the other eye, maybe once in the beginning of treatment and the end of treatment in case.

#16 ·
How long did it take for the eye to return to normal?
I have been treating my buck Jeffrey for 8 days now with pinkeye ointment form the vet (different meds in Canada). He said to do it for a week, but it still is red.
It has improved, cloudiness is gone and he seems to be able to see again with that eye.
Just wondered how long until I can breathe normally again. Stressful, waiting for healing to be complete!
Thanks

#19 ·
I am currently battling a pink eye outbreak in my herd of 12. According to others in my area pink eye is going around bad here in N. Texas. 2 trips to the vet later we got the correct diagnosis. Should have just talked to my friend at the feed store. She took a look and knew exactly what I was up against. Just treated entire herd via sub injection with LA 200, gave them LA200 drops in eye, and the really bad eyes got tryamicin 3x a day and that blue spray.

I am exhausted. I have spent so much money amd time trying to get this under control. Next time I will be ready! It took a week for the bad cases of pink eye to clear up.

#20 ·
I am currently battling a pink eye outbreak in my herd of 12. According to others in my area pink eye is going around bad here in N. Texas. 2 trips to the vet later we got the correct diagnosis. Should have just talked to my friend at the feed store. She took a look and knew exactly what I was up against. Just treated entire herd via sub injection with LA 200, gave them LA200 drops in eye, and the really bad eyes got tryamicin 3x a day and that blue spray.

I am exhausted. I have spent so much money amd time trying to get this under control. Next time I will be ready! It took a week for the bad cases of pink eye to clear up.
I am sorry to hear you had 12 to treat, but glad they are all better.
I also had not recognized it was pinkeye at first, and 5 days went by before my buck got the proper treatment. I think that is why it is taking longer. He looks so much better now.
Fortunately no other goat (or person, or chicken) got it here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.