What is too cold for kidding??

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by heathersboers, Jan 2, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    It is 17 here tonight with a wind chill of 5 degrees- I have my does put up in the barn, but it is still FREEZING!!! If they kid, will the kids even have a chance?? It is supposed to be like this all week... :sigh: I have them shavings, but they are still shivering...

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Last year I had kids born on practically the coldest day of the year- it was literally 2 degrees out.
    They were in the barn and I was there to help dry them off, and we put little sweatshirt sleeve coats on them, and had a heat lamp for the first few days over them, they were totally fine, and the growthiest kids all year!

As long as your barn is draft free it should be okay if momma gets right to cleaning them off, if you can heat lamps would be a good idea just to get them through the first day or two

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My late Tilly decided to have her triplets on a 6* day in February 08...I was there for the births, helped mama dry off her babies and had her bedded in deep straw in a boxed stall...once the kids were dry and nursing I put puppy sweaters on them for the night, no heat lamp and took them off the next day. Kids were plenty warm with mama.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    cold cold here too.
    Try to be there when they kid, to get the kid dry ASAP. its really important that theyre dry. do as the others did above and give em cute lil sweaters to keep them warm. ;)

5. Remember that towels in the dryer will help. If you catch it too late and need to warm them up faster, a warm bath followed by the dryer towels can help too..

Just some tips.