What is up this year???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Here it is mid September and I still have not had a doe one come into heat! :hair: I had quite a few I was hoping to breed this month for Feb kids next spring. I'm so close to pulling my juniors and turning a buck loose in the doe pen. Problem is, there's only 2 I would want to do that with and one is just not interested in breeding yet and would probably get picked on and the other has a dam and sister in the doe pen who can't be bred to him. ERRRR I really wish these cooler nights and days would spur on some heat cycles!

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I noticed in the last few days two of my Cashmere does are in heat. Don't want to breed them till late Oct-Nov. That worked pretty well last year. They birthed in early March and the weather was pretty good by that time. The bucks are getting pretty stinky!

3. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I know exactly how you feel-none of my does have been in heat yet. My mom has most of her Juniors all bred-and only one of her milkers bred. It is a crazy breeding season. I figure they'll all decide to be bred at the same time and want to kid around the time I should be taking them to my first show. I'll probably only have a dry yearling to show :hair:

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I should send my buck Zorro down your way. He got every one in an uproar here, I am sure he would do the same there.

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yes I bet they'll all wait and want bred at the same time and then they'll kid either after or right around show time next year making us miss the spring shows. That'll figure but I bet that's what'll happen. :hair:

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have had at least 3 does in heat....2 I know for sure. I have a buck that isnt interested in breeding and one that is eager if his girls would come into heat. I know what you are going through. I breed for 4-H projects so I am almost at my limit of time to get my does bred..... :hair: :veryangry:

7. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Really? We had a couple does start cycling in July! We have a doe bred for Jan. for sure and have 3 more that are hopefully bred for Feb. And we're hoping the 3 juniors will be bred next month.

8. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    That's how it worked last year. I had numerous does cycle throughout the summer and then I chose when to breed. Not this year. None have cycled at all the whole summer and still haven't started up.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This weather is what's messing everyone up! My 2 little boys are eager but the "main man" is more interested in eating...which is ok because he won't be used this year....my does have all cycled so far and the one I want to be bred has been not so blatant...the nigi has me all messed up too...she had a heat then 5 days later came in again and now I need to get hold of the bucks owner to set up her dates for next month :worried:

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We're almost done breeding for spring kids! Wierd how that is. :shrug: We've got three does due in January, hopefully one in February, and a couple jr. does we'll be breeding later on, they're not big enough yet. Hope they start cycling for you soon!

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    All but my youngest buck are very interested. As a matter of fact I just took Cruiser out on lead into the doe pasture and he's really ready to start servicing does but none of the does were in heat. Several squatted to pee for him but no one stood. He tried mounting a few. They just ran or bounced around away from him. :p I hope these little walks stir their hormones up!

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Mine started to cycle last month Now this month sweet Pea was in heat (discharge, flagging etc) on the 6th then came back into heat on the 17th (discharge flagging etc) which is only 11 days apart :doh: So who knows whats going on with her.

Now Mia who I dont intend ot breed isnt being as regular as she normally is.

Angie who came into heat not long after I got her isnt being as apparent with her heats, but I have till January to figure them out

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So far all of mine have cycled except for my younger juniors, but I am pretty sure one of them is going into heat today. They are all hormonal messes right now. :doh: Xcell was mounting Spice today and then Spice was taking on my herd Queen! :shocked:

I can't wait for all the seniors to be bred and happy again. lol But I don't want anymore Feb kids so I am trying to wait.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm with you RunAround!! I don't want kids as late as late April to May so the waiting to have breeding done with is making me nuts I want kids in mid to late March and these girls are just not co-operating!

15. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Wow I have 2 does that I am 90%+ sure they are bred and one that is exposed but I don't think she settled.I'm going to have Dec. Jan. kids and I'm not thrilled but with our fair in early June that's the best time. They have all come into heat.

16. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah I figured the juniors would be less obvious or maybe later to cycle. But the seniors I figured would be wild! LOL

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    My girls are just starting to come into heat now, I usually dont' have any that come into heat earlier than this, it sure would be nice though :roll:

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    its odd, all of mine have been coming into heat all year except one

19. Kittikity

Kittikity Guest

Jun 12, 2008
    Same here.. The does at the goat farm I work at are just now starting to cycle.. Not too much of a problem since our winters are fairly mild and they don't do any showing.. But a lot of their does seem to be in heat, but my two nubian girls that are still there seem to be some of the few that aren't.. The senior bucks and the bucklings are doing all the blubbering and tongue wagging.. The junior bucks we want to use for this years breedings are stinky but not paying much attention to the girls..

20. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I was just out feeding and doing chores, Pepper (Izzy's daughter born early March) is in heat! She's so cute, she rubs on the fence till Fernando walks over and then she runs away,