What is up with all these disease popping up?!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Hi, I haven't been here in a while, but I am ticked. In the past week, I have noticed a cl looking lump on one of my does [the pus is white and doesn't smell, is that cl?] and another has been somewhat off feed for the past week or two and I now see that she has sore mouth and I am now treating that. This is really frustrating as these are the first times I have noticed them. I think it is because of going to the fair a few months ago, that is all I can think of, but I am ticked! Why do people take sick animals to the fair?!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Unfortunately, it is hard to tell if that is CL without knowing where the lump is located (pictures would be awesome) and then you can send in a blood sample - but the best way is to send in a sample of the exodus from the abcess for analysis.

This is exactly why I don't want to show my goaties... i am ultra paranoid.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    was this goat ever tested before for CL?

if not then there is no way to in know if they got it at a fair or if she always had it. YOu can even bring it home with you from a sale barn or other farms.

Separate her from the herd - pull some gunk out and send it to washington state and have them test it for CL. This will let you know if it is a simple staph infection or really is CL. Never touch the gunk with your hands and dont let it touch the ground. Because if it is CL you can get it and once it lands on the soil it stays there for like 30 years.

4. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I extracted as much as the gunk as I could [until it was just a little blood] wearing gloves and disposed of it [in the trash] maybe 4 days ago, and tried to get more out yesterday, but the lump is almost gone. The lump is on her cheek, maybe an inch and a half behind the corner of her mouth. I will be keeping a close eye on her to see if she gets another. She has never been tested for cl, and was not from a sale barn. The last sale barn animal here was in April, a little lamb.This doe is a pet [a mutt] and did not go to fair herself. She has not been off the property for over 2 years [besides to a nursing home as a therapy animal],

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wasnt saying she personally was from the sale barn but I thought I remembered you saying you went to the sale barn to look at some animals a while back -- could be remembering wrong. I was saying that you could have brought it home even if you didnt purchase a goat or any other animal from there.

I would keep her separated till you can get her tested. Its the only sure way to keep the others from getting infected now that the abscess has been opened.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    because of the location - I would definately have her tested

7. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I would love to have her tested but the abscess no longer has any gunk in it. I will jsut have to wait until another pops up, as sad as it is to say. Thanks.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can blood test her

9. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    My vet, who is a goat exert, he has a herd of show dairy goats, about 40 does worth, and has been doing it for over 30 years, says that the blood test for CL is not worth the money, and worse than that, because it is so easy to get both false negatives and false positives. He says the only decent test is a test of the pus from an abscess. So a blood test could terrify you but would not prove anything.

Jan

10. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thank you, I know what you mean Lissa, I really don't know what to do know, as the abscess is gone. I can't even find a lab that does testing online anyway.

11. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    If she was mine I would watch very closely for another lump, and if she got one separate her immediately. Then get something out of the lump to send to WADDL (Washington State) for testing and keeping her separated and making sure nothing from the lump gets on the ground. (I am an idiot and would have my vet do this, but I am lucky to have him, he takes care of many of the dairy goats in the county and doesn't charge much. Really lucky.)

Hopefully it is something benign and won't come back.

The very first doe kid I got had an abcess, I knew nothing about CL, but the vet thought it was that, he didn't know the people I got her from at the time. It turned out to be a salivary defect, she was leaking saliva into a pocket, and was going to have to be drained every month or so forever. I was not up to that. She was a darling goat, but I took her back and got her sister, who was seriously skittish, but quite lovely. She is now 5 and is my herd leader, and the nubian foundation doe of my kinder herd.

So it can be something that isn't too bad.

Jan

12. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thanks Lissa, I will keep a very close eye on her. What should I do if it is CL?

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you will want to separate her from the herd and if any more abscesses show up you need to clean them out and not let the gunk get on the ground or on your skin. Dont wear the same clothes in with the other goats that you do with her.

CL can be managed but if abscesses keep popping up it gets harder and hard to deal with.

The CL blood test has gotten better over the years - it isnt 100% accurate but it certainly does work in many cases. if you send the blood to WADDL they will help you out - they are real nice over there.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Could ti of been a sticker? Maybe something she put her face in and got a sticker of rubbed on and got a splinter?
    That happen to one of my 4H kids goats. I squeezed the gunk out and I dig in it and found a splinter in it. He healed up and have never had any other trouble.