The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a week ago one of my does kidded twins. She is a boer goat, but her udder was so big, almost touching the ground. The kids managed to suck one side down and get milk (right), but when they try the other side (left) she kicks them. I tried the mastitis soap test and it was negative.

Now I have noticed the teat the kids are suckling on has a bump on it? Can I treat this or what to do?

TIA! 馃悙:)

Vertebrate Mammal Terrestrial animal Grass Snout
Fawn Terrestrial animal Animal feed Grass Livestock
Vertebrate Mammal Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal
Eye Grass Working animal Terrestrial animal Hay

Registered
Not getting the pictures. I鈥檝e had that happen several times, where the kids favor a side. Then the neglected side gets really tight and painful, so she doesn鈥檛 want them messing with it. Milk out about half of the milk from that side to relieve her and loosen it up for kids. Then place a kid on that side and help it nurse. Works best if you can catch them when they鈥檙e hungry. Do this 4-5 times a day. Also it may take awhile (my last one that had this problem took about a week), and involve you to tie her left back leg up to keep her from kicking the kids away.
I鈥檓 not sure about the bump you鈥檙e describing. I hope you can get the pictures to show.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not getting the pictures. I鈥檝e had that happen several times, where the kids favor a side. Then the neglected side gets really tight and painful, so she doesn鈥檛 want them messing with it. Milk out about half of the milk from that side to relieve her and loosen it up for kids. Then place a kid on that side and help it nurse. Works best if you can catch them when they鈥檙e hungry. Do this 4-5 times a day. Also it may take awhile (my last one that had this problem took about a week), and involve you to tie her left back leg up to keep her from kicking the kids away.
I鈥檓 not sure about the bump you鈥檙e describing. I hope you can get the pictures to show.
Not sure why the pictures did not show, but I think I fixed it. I will try to milk her tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts