The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat has two problems. he is a half brier/Spanish goat half Nubian. He is about 5 months old and living with a full bred brier nanny goat. They have never bred. He is very boney and you can fell his rids and almost wrap your fingers around his spine. He is fed his grain every day with our cows and other goat. They eat sweet feed. And we let them out to graze for about two to three hours a day. His second problem is his skin. he is "peeling" all over and is losing hair on the top of his neck. They are pretty much gone because I have brushed and washed him twice over the last 3 weeks. We did put bug repellent gel on him and believe he had an allergic reaction. what can I do to get him back to his original cute little self. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!:help::help:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
Looks like he has mites. You need to do Ivomec injection for that. Ivomec injected at 1cc per 40 lbs. Do 3 times, every 10 days. NuStock on the dry skin areas should help heal the skin.

You need to have a fecal done. He looks like he is probably full of worms. Make sure they also look for coccidia. You need to know what worms he has so you can treat appropriately.

If he is in with cows, I would also be concerned about Johnnes disease but he is very young to have that.

Parasites are probably his big problem. Both internally and externally.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has been wormed twice because that was one of our hypotheses for what was wrong but the stuff in his fur is his skin cells, not mites if I do believe.

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
What exactly did you worm with and what dosage did you use? There is no wormer out there that takes care of all worms. Plus you have to use the proper dosage. Label dosage is almost never correct for goats.

His skin looks like the aftermath of mites. That is the look when they have had them for a while.

You really need to have a fecal done. I bet he is loaded.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could the mosquito repellent gel have been an "overdose" and have caused it in your opinion. Also for the skinnyness is possibly because he is young and in puberty. I am just trying all options here, but I don't know for sure what wormer it is I'll have to get back to you on that later.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Mites was the first thing that came to my mind as well. I would use ivermectin pour on. I have heard you can also put iodine on it and will kill them but I use the pour on since it kills every little crep that might be crawling on them. I bet he is full of worms as well but another thing that might be going on with him being thin and hair falling out is a lack of some kind of mineral. Does he have loose minerals out free choice?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read somewhere else that that may be the cause of him being thin and he may need copper so.. that will be on my list.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I couldn't remember which mineral it was. I still would rule out worms and bugs. Another thing to help him put weight on is calf manna. When you look at the price of it keep in mind that you really don't need to feed a ton of it. Only like a soup can probably with him twice a day. My goats hate it so I have to mix it in well with other grain. But its full of all kinds of goodness lol that's my go to with anything that needs help and I think well worth the money.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
He needs a fecal test for worms and cocci. Sorry but that is what his condition is telling me.

you need to give the right wormer and dosage for it to work plus do it again 10 days later.

Cocci needs to be treated with proper meds, which wormers do not kill cocci.

Knowing what exactly it is will help him get proper treatment soon. He is in bad shape. :(

How are his gums and eye membrane color? Anemic?

I would have a vet take a scraping of his back then you will know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
Puberty has nothing to do with it. This goat is wormy. You may have wormed him but if you don't know what worms you are dealing with, you may have wormed him with something that didn't work at all. It still comes down to getting a fecal done and make sure they also check for coccidia.

I don't think the mosquito gel did that. It is a classic sign of mites. You can't see mites. You only see the damage they leave behind.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry ,but how do they get mites?? This is still not real. I AM FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pray::pray::pray::tears::tears: If this is true please pray for him. Thank you all for your help and am still accepting comments or tips about the diagnosis.:thankU::thankU::thankU:

·
Registered
30,574 Posts
I agree..treat for mite...Ivomec plus 1 cc per 40# SUB Q (pour ons do not work for mites) 3 times one week apart will kill the mites..and do a job on any worm load as well..( its why I say Ivomec "plus")
A fecal will tell you what worms you are dealing with
Copper may be needed as well

What are you feeding? and how much?? loose minerals?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feed him sweet feed also he grazes for two to three hours a day. He has a mineral block but he never eats/licks it, but from this I will get him a copper supplement. he probably gets 2-3 cups of sweet feed.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I agree.

He needs a grain, that has Ammonium chloride in it, to keep him from getting Urinary stones which can kill him. Nobel goat grower or something like it.
Feeding some of the sweet feed with it is OK. Always start out gradually with any new feed. Of course first, we need to get him better, no grain while he is down (Not eating).

He needs hay for roughage for his rumen health as well.

He needs loose salts and minerals somehow. Mineral blocks are no good.

Get that fecal

Is he anemic?

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
I had to delete your other thread. People will get too confused when responding to 2 different threads. We need to keep your answers to just this one thread.

You actually are being told what to do.

1. take a fecal sample in to a vet. have him test it for worms and coccidia

2. once you find out the results from the fecal test, then worm him with the right dewormers that are needed.

3. get Ivomec Plus and 3cc syringes and 20 gauge needles. give him 1cc per 40 lbs SQ (under the skin) by injection. Do this 3 times, 10 days apart (meaning do a shot, wait 10 days, do another shot, wait 10 days, do last shot). this is for the mites

4. get a good LOOSE goat mineral from the store (he will not get enough minerals from the block)

5. get some copper boluses. you can order them from Santa Cruz or Jeffers

6. buy NuStock and put that on the skin areas that are bad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mites/Worms PLEASE HELP!!!!!

On a previous post I was told my goat has mites. can y'all please tell me how serious it looks, how long he has, what I should give him, and how to care for him. I appreciate any tips or comments. Thank you in advance.:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
He looks pretty rough. I'd be deworming with ivomec and dusting him with a mite/lice dust. He also should probably be copper bolused and i'd do BoSe/selenium as well if he hasn't had it recently. Put him on a good quality hay, he's quite underweight. Alfalfa would be my choice. He also should have free choice loose minerals. You can use a cattle or goat mineral.

·
Registered
30,574 Posts
Hey there..on your other post there are several suggestions on how to care for your little man...if you keep your questions to one post you wont go crazy looking for answers in too many locations and it wont keep us so busy answering twice ;)

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Sometimes pasture is enough, but you really need to get this guy on some high quality hay at least while he recovers. He's extremely underweight. Sweet feed doesn't really do a whole lot nutritionally.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts