What is wrong with my goats' eyes?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 21goaties, Aug 16, 2018.

1. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    So let me start this off by saying that we keep our goats for woods/pasture management (and as pets ;)). We have about 20, separated into two pastures. One pasture has 9 wethers, the other has 9 does & 2 wethers (which are the does' now 2yo kids). We have not had a new goat (s) introduced into the herd for......over 3 years now and we have not bred the does or had a buck for 2 years. They are mixed breeds of Nubian, Alpine, Arapawa, and maybe some others.

Now to the point. About 2 years ago we noticed that a couple of our wethers' eyes were turning white. Like, the pupil was disappearing. When you shone the light on them at night you saw these creepy white zombie goat eyes. They were also acting like they couldn't see well. We said "we should take them to the vet", but since they were acting completely normal otherwise and the eyes weren't red or draining we sort of.....didn't get around to it. Since we don't really sell or milk our goats it wasn't a huge priority. Fast forward to now, and about 7 of the 9 wethers in the wether pasture have the white eyes. They are noticeably more cautious/careful of things (I guess because they can't see), but since we have not had then checked by a vet I don't know if they are blind for sure. I have attached pictures of two of the wethers' eyes (Henry and King, they are both 5yo).

I was thinking maybe someone on here would know what this was? I have googled but could not find anything that looked like this and had no other symptoms.

henryeye.jpg

kingeye.jpg

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You need a vet. They can't see. Might be some type of bacteria or virus.

groovyoldlady and elvis&oliver like this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, seek a vet immediately.

4. #nubiantrouble

#nubiantrouble New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    It might be pink eye. It is contagious. So separate the ones that have it from the ones that don’t. Do the affected ones blink repeatedly, or do they have an aversion to bright sunlight? It can cause temporary blindness or even permanent in severe cases. If you look closely is her eye turning pink/red around the edges? An ulcer may appear. Pink eye is usually treated with any number of antibiotics that are injected into the body or placed directly in the eye. Make sure they are hand fed and watered. Keep us updated.

5. BC4goats

BC4goats Member

Jul 15, 2018
    KY
    I agree, vet should see them. Could be pink eye.. you can try oxytetracycline or neo - predef with tetracaine powder ... I think there is a vaccine against it, as it spread by flies, might worth to vaccinate the healthy ones. On pictures almost looks like cataract to me... but it would be weird to have 7 out of 9 with cataracts ?! Also, looks like nuclear sclerosis in older dogs, but it does not affect the vision and I have no idea if the goats can get them, sure age related and not contagious.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Well, we are going to take them to the vet. The thing is, our vet is not very goat savvy (he's the same one who gave us Diawin pills for goat diarrhea) but he does do basic things like fecals and prescribing antibiotics and is better than nothing. The only other vet near us we stopped going to because the vet there said that her professor told her that "goats were born to die" :eek: (this was a few years ago when we lost a lot of goats due to not knowing how to treat properly and had to take some to be put down it was so bad)

But since we haven't gone yet I don't know, maybe there is some sort of test he could do to try to find out what is wrong. Sadly there aren't a lot of goat vets, they mostly see horses, cows, and smaller pets.

Also, our trailer hasn't been used in years and since these wethers are too big to fit in a crate, we will have to fix the trailer in order to take them. It is very strange, they act totally normal, (headbutting, playing, eating, etc), just a few of them have white eyes.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    You probably don’t have to take all of them to the vet. Ask if one would be enough. If it’s something that can be spread, which I would put money on it was, he should be able to give you enough of whatever for all of them. But just taking one you can toss into anything and get you on your way of getting answers and treatment for everyone.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    So we were never able to take them to the vet, but we did send a picture of their eyes to a vet. He had no idea and had never seen it (although he sees goats) and said it could be something in our pond water. These boys are all still blind and have been for a couple years now. They act normal otherwise. They do live in the pen with the pond so that would make sense.

But what in the pond would be destroying their pupils? I'm assuming it's a parasite? I have searched and searched and cannot find anything that matches up. It is not pinkeye, we had that years ago and it is much different.

I really want to figure this out. None of the vets around here know goats.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this (in any animal)? I am so frustrated. Their were no warning signs on this. These goats literally went blind with no other obvious symptoms. It looks like something cut out their pupils.

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Contact one of the State Universities with a good veterinarian program.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  12. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I have no answer to the questions of what and how. Only a suggestion to get some ducks for that pond, pronto. I have some you can have...

Ducks do a great job of taking out parasite carriers and iffy vegetation. My drakes love snakes.

13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Chlamidia will cause blindness.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Isn't that an infection? We never noticed any swelling or drainage.

16. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    From that link "Chlamydia psittaci is one of the four species of the genus Chlamydia, which also includes Chlamydia trachomatis, Chlamydia pneumoniae and Chlamydia pecorum.
    Chlamydia trachomatis and Chlamydia pneumoniae are both human pathogens. C. psittaci infects a wide variety of birds, mammals and occasionally humans and C. pecorum contaminates ruminants, swine and koalas. In ewes and goats C. pecorum causes pneumonia, conjunctivitis and arthritis but is very often isolated from asymptomatic intestinal infections [2].
    Except in very rare instances, strains inducing abortion in goats belong to C. psittaci serotype-1, which is also responsible for pneumonia, conjunctivitis and arthritis and sometimes, intestinal infections without any clinical signs. "

Does that mean that it is responsible for conjunctivitis without any clinical signs, or intestinal infections without any clinical signs?

17. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I took it as 'intestinal infections without any signs' but may I say that is an excellent point/question.

21goaties likes this.
  18. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    I emailed a university. From searching online all I can gather is that it could have been untreated infection that had no drainage or redness somehow. Isn't it right that there is no way to reverse that?

Ugh. Why did I not think about this for so long....

wifeof1 likes this.
  19. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Here are the only pics I found that look similar to their eyes:

Here is a really old picture from this forum from someone who said this was pinkeye:

[​IMG]

From here:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4629580/

OpenVetJ-3-11-g002.jpg
    a-slight corneal opacity and with neovascularization (arrows), and dilated pupil, b-posterior capsular cataract with mild degree of iridocyclitis, c- clear corneal tissue with dilated pupil, corneal pigmentation (arrows) as a result of anterior synechia and cataractous lens, d-slight capsular cataract with cortical involvement, e-mature cataract, f-capsular and cortical cataract with slight nuclear involvement.

I thought their eyes looked similar to c...sorta....

In sheep http://www.nadis.org.uk/disease-a-z/sheep/eye-diseases-in-sheep/
    3-eyes-sheep-infectious-keratoconjunctivitis.jpg