The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
I am new to goats. I have 27 acres, about 5-7 is mowed grass, a pond, a barn, etc. and then the other 20 acres consisted of corn up until about three years ago and has been dormant ever since. There are some old dried corn stalks from what wasn't plowed down three years ago but is very overgrown with weeds, grass, a decent amount of hairy vetch, and whatever else would natively grow in the Midwest. I have two six month old Lamanchas and two nine month old Nubians being rotated around on the overgrown pasture a half acre at a time. They are also given loose minerals and baking soda as they want it and they had a salt block up until about a month ago when it became lost in the pasture and I haven't gotten a new one yet. Besides that I put ACV in their water.

My problem:
I kept asking people if my goats were small and they said that since they looked healthy and acted healthy I shouldn't worry about it. I just kept questioning that because they seemed really small to me. So I weighed them yesterday morning and the two six month old Lamanchas were weighing in at 37 and 40 pounds and the two nine-month old Nubians were weighing in at 72 and 75 pounds. I read about issues with worms and did the gum/eyelid test and all of the goats coloring was very light pink to white. I haven't dewormed them since I got the goats back in May so I decided to deworm them yesterday evening. When I went out this morning all four of the goats looked waaaay skinnier. Much bonier than I've seen them before which was really concerning to me. I called the vet but she didn't seem very concerned because they have been eating normally and are still really energetic and curious. Now when I went out to see them they don't appear to be as skinny...because they seem to now be bloated. Big, round, hard stomachs. They have been bloated before and it has been cleared up with baking soda. I'm just worried that the deworming did damage or that I waited too long to take care of them. I have noticed some things that could be worms in their berries but their gums are still pale. Other than the small size, pale gums, and now weight-loss/bloating they have been eating well, having healthy poops, running around, and generally acting normal.

If anyone could lend some advice I would really appreciate it. My ladies are very loved and right now I feel like I'm doing them a disservice.

·
14,615 Posts
What did you worm with?
What you are seeing is probably tapes, as most everything else needs a microscope.
Where abouts are you located? Barberpole is rampant in some areas.

·
1,524 Posts
The overnight skinniness is due to the wormings. The belly is large because of the worms. The worms die and the worm belly leaves, causing the goat to look even skinnier.

They could be bloating due to the dead worms causing a partial blockage in the intestines. Mare sure they are passing feces and urine. Feed them lots of roughage and add a bit of oil to their grain to sort of lube the way out for any dead worms.

It takes a while for the pink color to come back if a goat is anemic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We wormed with Ivesco Goat Dewormer Concentrate- Medicated from TSC. It's a red bag. I'm located in Central Michigan. I've seen them pooping just fine but I'll give the oil a try if it is at all helpful.

Are these normal symptoms for deworming? I didn't see this the first time I dewormed upon getting them. Would worms make their growth that stunted and should I be worried by how small they are even once they are clear of worms? Is there any way to catch them up so to speak once they are healthy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also I should ask, what kind of "grain" are people feeding their goats and is this necessary? We don't feed any extra food beyond what they get on pasture and their minerals, baking soda, and salt. We do give them a feeder full of hay on rainy days though.

·
Super Moderator
59,770 Posts
The problem with the dewormer you used is that they have to eat the proper amount in one feeding. So unless you measured it and fed the goats individually, they probably didn't get the proper amount.

I would be taking some fecal samples in to the vet and have it tested and make sure they include coccidia. Then go from there with using the proper dewormers.

·
14,615 Posts
Also I should ask, what kind of "grain" are people feeding their goats and is this necessary? We don't feed any extra food beyond what they get on pasture and their minerals, baking soda, and salt. We do give them a feeder full of hay on rainy days though.
Most goat folks feed a goat grain to growing & lactating goats.
We leave hay out 24/7 as ours don't have access to browse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay thanks, I will work on gathering fecals for all the girls. My husband and I actually did all of the math and weighed out the dewormer with a food scale for each individual goat and fed it to them with a little sweetmix. They couldn't eat it fast enough! Either way, I will get the fecal and get another dewormer if needed.

In regards to grain, I know to incorporate it for the lactating girls but if my growing girls have regular access to the pasture, is it still necessary to incorporate grain?

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
I am raising 6 Nigerian does born in March - April and they eat 1 1/2 pounds of grain (as a group) twice a day.......pasture doesn't have any protein in it and they need some to grow.

·
Registered
31,480 Posts
I feed my kids grain twice a day a grain made for growing goats....On the bloat, as stated before the worms die off and can become toxic if there is a lot and takes time for the goat to rid them from the gut. The toxicity will cause gas thus the bloat. Cd antitoxin will protect the goat while it deals with the issue... For tape only white wormers such as valbazen used three days in a row will take care of the tape. 1cc per 10# orally. Tape worms will stunt growth. In doing the fecal include a cocci check which will also stunt growth... Once you know what worms you are dealing with you can choose a wormer to meet that need.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Okay thanks, I will work on gathering fecals for all the girls. My husband and I actually did all of the math and weighed out the dewormer with a food scale for each individual goat and fed it to them with a little sweetmix. They couldn't eat it fast enough! Either way, I will get the fecal and get another dewormer if needed.

In regards to grain, I know to incorporate it for the lactating girls but if my growing girls have regular access to the pasture, is it still necessary to incorporate grain?
Yes. It doesn't have to be grain, per se, it can be a goat grower pellet, but they will grow out much faster and much better with some type of supplemental feed. The problem with only feeding hay or forage is that they cannot eat enough of it to meet their nutritional needs at this stage of development. A pellet or grain will provide the necessary protein, vitamins, and other things to support their growth and development.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts