What is your "cocci prevention" if any?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Jan 17, 2009.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am definately doing a cocci prevention with my goats this year, one case out of 9 kids last year was enough for me! Thankfully she was treated and is doing wonderful in her new home.

I had been going to go with my vets reccomendation of adding deccox to their minerals, but seeing as how I do have a milker with the dry and preggy girls, that option is out. I am planning on going the Di-Methox route and treating the kids at 3-6- and 9 weeks of age as well as being even more diligent with cleaning. I am open to options and truly feel that this disease is very preventive and very manageable if proper steps are taken.

All my kids are dam raised and I have just 2 does due to freshen in March, so the number of kids to treat would not be "unmanageable"

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well the year after I had cocci on my place I didnt treat anyone due to no outbreak. But this past year it was BAD. So my prevention is going to be Corid in the water the 2 weeks before kidding to clear the does out. Then all kids will be individually treated by the time they are 4 weeks old. If the dams need it then I will treat them individually too. I will have a fecal done after treatment to make sure everyone is clean.

If the season is rainy I know it will be an uphill battle.

3. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I used Corid last year on the bottle baby that we bought, but it was because there wasn't any dimethox 40% anywhere at all to be found. Late in the fall, I found 1 bottle of the dimethox at a local farm store, and scarfed it up. That will probably be my choice for this year, but I do have Corid too.

Seems that alot of people had problems with cocci in their kids last year in our area.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I use Sulmet and I do not add it to the water, I mix it with a little cherry syrup and drench it. I was told that Co rid was for when they have cocci and not as a preventive. I was also worried about the thiamine thing with the Co rid. Sulmet doesn't have this problem so I feel safer with it.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

With my bottle babies i put a couple of drops in the milk every two days for the first month of their life. My does get it in their water about once a week as do the bucks mostly from march through june when we are doing the wet/warm weather here.
    I also run fecals every month.
    beth

edit....when i see this message it only has the first sentence, is there something wrong with my computer. When i went to edit it the entire message is here...?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    talked with my vet and he suggested the corid for prevention and treatment.

The way all cocci meds work (yes Sulmet too) is to deplete the body's thiamine so the cocci cant feed hence they die. (or something like that).

I was worried about using corid because of things I had heard regarding it on the internet (forums like this one) but my vet said it woulnt cause polio if used correctly.

Alison gave me a chart that she found in regards to how much corid to use based on body weight and I found it to be effective for drenching. But for putting in the water I double or triple (I have it written down would need to check) the dosage suggested on the bottle due to wanting to make sure they get enough.

"prevention" of cocci isnt like preventing them from getting anemic. They have to have the cocci eggs in their system for the meds to be of any use. So by 'prevention' you basically are treating them for the cocci all be it a small number so that it doesnt become an outbreak.

The treatment doesnt stay in their system so that when they are "introduced" (for lack of the word I am trying to think of) to the cocci it gets rid of it. So in all sense of the word 'prevention' isnt correct. It is more of a step ahead treating.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    In the 7 years of raising kids, I never had one case....then in early June of 07 when I brought my 10 week old registered nigi buck home...he was treated for it, and the 3 week old buckling that was born here never got it :shrug:

It was baffling to me that just the one doeling last year got it and the other 8 were perfectly fine, I figure I'm not taking ANY chances this time around and will treat all does and kids to ensure their health. I don't like to medicate un neccesarily but in the case of cocci prevention, I do think it a must. With all I've read that the cocci will survive freezing temps and even bleach won't kill it, pretty much the only way you can erradicate it from the goat areas is to burn all feces and basically "diaper" the goats to keep feces from contaminating the ground, barn etc. I love my goats but I'm not about to change diapers on them. Last year was the first time I had fecals run...and I must be doing something right because all came back "normal" with a couple cocci and a few barberpole....both were good counts according to my vet so I will continue wit my wormers as usual and have the fecals run in April as well as in October to be sure the wormers are still working.

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I drench with reconsituted Sulmet mixed with a dab of molassas every 21 days til the kids reach 6 mos or so. The molassas makes them really happy about letting me stick a drenching syringe in their mouths. :wink:

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    My bottle kids get Deccox-M powder in their bottles once a day along with Deccox medicated feed until they are weaned, and then they stay on medicated pellets until they are least 8 months old. Boer kids get drenched with a cocci preventive mixed with karo syrup every 20 days, (last year I used Albon) this year I plan on doing corid. They also get creep fed a medicated feed.

Cocci is a big problem in my area, if you don't stay on top of it you'll have stunted kids.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I use Di-Methoxx for five days. I only do it if the kid is showing the early signs of what looks like cocci. I've had some kids that were perfectly fine and never had a single problem, so I'm not going to treat them unnecessarily (sp?) If it is a winter kidding and we have quite a few babies, then I do treat, just in case and it's harder to keep the barn as clean in the winter as in the summer.

Oh, our babies born at home have never needed the cocci treatment because I clean the barn just about every day. At the farm, I can't do that though, so just to be sure, I medicate. Sassy's babies just got their treatment done.

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with the Di-Methoxx or Albon.

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    Generally, all I do is feed medicated kid pellets. For those special cases. I give a 5 day course of liquid sulfa every 21 days. I'm not sure of the brand of sulfa because I get it from my vet. The dose is 1cc/5# the first day and 1cc/10# the following four days.

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's probably Albon. Is that the only treatment that is an Rx?

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow...so many great tips here! I figure that since I do pride myself on raising healthy kids, just one outbreak is one too many and since I know it can be prevented while they are here with me I will do all I can to ensure a long and happy life wherever they go....it's very important to me that they get the best start in hopefully a very long life.

If it's the Albon liquid that is sort of yellowish and thick, it is a prescription.

14. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I took my first fecal sample to the vet last week. One worm egg and one cocci cyst. Vet was amazed at lack of worms, but goats have not been on any of my pastures before in at least 20 years and I have been moving their pen to clean ground every week since they've been here.

Anyway, does are on Corid now, 15 cc per 50 lbs, for 7 days. I have also started scrubbing out their feeded and water bucket with hot soapy water and a brush and I have moved their shed/pen twice in the last week to clean ground. The vet wanted them on treatment to clean them out before they kid. Hopefully there will be a light load of cysts for the kids to deal with when they are born.

Treating two goats and prevention through cleaning feeders, etc. is much easier with only two goats of course.