What kind do I use???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Aug 2, 2008.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Tatto gun for nigerian dwarf and pygmy kids?? I need to get one like now and not sure which works best. What do you guys recommend? Where is the best place to order? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I would check Hoegger supply co. I think they have one specifically for the small goats.I'll check if I get the chance but I have a wedding to go to in a little bit.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have a weston A0 is what it says on it. I bought it from someone near me that only used it twice on sheep - and sold it to me for $30.00 with 2 sets of letters and 2 sets of numbers!!!

4. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks, goatnutty, I'll check that out. Have a great time at the wedding! Thanks...

Allison, i'll look that up also, definately want to explore my options, you got an awesome deal!!!

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    See details All Breed 5/16" Tattoo System
    SKU: 5K

5K Choose the tattoo system that has all the most-wanted features in one great outfit at a price that can't be beat. Ideal for pygmy and dwarf breeds, and meat goats, too.
    The Tongs - compact, 5" long, sure-grip textured handles with posi-action spring loaded response. Gleaming polished finis...
    It's 28.95 I think.That's all i found.Thanks,I'm going to try to have fun!

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah - I was very lucky.

You can buy the letters and numbers needed individually, or you can buy them by the set - figure out what it would cost you to purchase each seperately and then how much per number set and letter set - cause you might end up spending less by buying the set if you have alot of numbers or letters - but be aware of repeats in the numbers - like Y11

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    The 5/16 is the one we have, it's labeled for small animals. It is fairly inexpensive. I think Jeffer's has the better deal than Hoegger's. We got it from Jeffer's. It comes w/ the 0-9 numbers but no letters. It does not have the ear release but I think that's mainly needed for the Nubians, (not sure about that).

8. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I use the same one I use for my nubian kids. I bought mine from Jeffers

Standard Tattoo Outfit w/ Revolving Head/Ear Release.

9. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ok great, thanks for the help guys! I'm going to do some shopping and look at all your suggestions. But thanks so much this helps a bunch!

10. Udder Insanity Toggs

Udder Insanity Toggs New Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Saylorsburg, PA
    Since I also raise show rabbits, I use my rabbit tattoo pliers. They are fairly expensive, as I wanted the smallest possible tattoos on my little Mini Rex ears, but I use the Ketchum brand tongs in the 50D model - and they work GREAT on the goats! They ran about $200 with shipping for the 0-9 digits and the full alphabet set, but they are SOLIDLY made using all metal construction, so they can be sanitized easier. They also have sharper tips and make much cleaner tattoos. Also what is nice, is that with the 50D model, you can fit 6 digits in the space of about 1.5".

Kelly :)

11. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks...I never even thought about using one that's for rabbits,,,very clever!