The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What kind of bedding do you use in your goat barn? Are wood shavings safe?

Edit: I'm just curious what everyone else uses. I'm thinking about switching to wood shavings, but was worried about dust & them breathing it in or is there no dust? I've been using hay for bedding, but it gets nasty because when the goats walk around/lay on it, it pushes the hay into the ground so I have to clean it all out pretty often... which gets really tiring during 100 degree temps in the summer. I think I'll try out the wood shavings, it has to be better than the hay.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i used to use wood shavings, but with more and more goats the price got out of hand ($5 a bag of bedding at TSC) and it took 4 bags to just get the floor covered...So i changed it up. i use bales of coastal. only $7 a bale and i can do the whole barn nicely and both of my geese pens...with some hay left over to throw in the chicken runs!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I use straw. It would take too many bags to bed their stall really well. With straw I only need about 2 1/2 maybe three flakes. And, the straw is always nice and fluffy for them to sleep on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have always heard that shavings are not good for milkers due to the small slivers that can get into the teats and create havoc. Whether that is true or not, we now use straw for the milkers and maybe shavings for babies or dry does.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've always used hay for bedding because it's cheaper. The dirty bedding makes the ultimate garden mulch too!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have always heard that shavings are not good for milkers due to the small slivers that can get into the teats and create havoc. Whether that is true or not, we now use straw for the milkers and maybe shavings for babies or dry does.
we have never had a problem with shavings but sawdust is another story

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I use rice or wheat straw. I don't like shavings, because when a doe is delivering (or any animal), if you arent there and she doesn't clean the kids right away they get the shavings in their mouth, up their nose, etc. I like straw, and it keeps them warmer in the cold.

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
I use chopped grass straw. Then again, I live where all the grass seed is grown. This probably isn't available everywhere. For second choice, I use ABM covered with wheat straw.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I use shavings.

My kidding stalls get a thin layer of shavings and LOTS Of straw on top :) the shavings are just there as extra padding on the concrete floor, and to soak up liquids a little better :)
I think shavings are easier to clean too.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
We use shavings, in the kidding stall, straw, and sometimes we use the wood pellets for pellet stoves since they are cheap!

Straw is a PITA to clean, it gets so heavy. Our doe house has wood on the bottom, and the straw doesn't soak pee up very well.

·
1,524 Posts
Shavings in the summer, shavings and straw in the winter.

I have used the wood stove pellets before and they work well. I just don't have the place to store them. The straw doesn't do much about soaking up the wet, but I put the shavings down first, which helps. I try to feed them hay outside so the stall doesn't get packed down with manure and hay squashed together, but when it rains hard, they won't go outside to eat. The straw doesn't seem to pack as hard as the hay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts